Chapter 8

Wave and Storm got up slowly and dusted themselves off the soot. Storm tried to clean the place up before Jet arrived as Wave took charge of the controls of the airship. She u-turned the airship and turned the GPS on to search where Jet was.

"Well, there must be a logical explanation to everything", Shadow stated as Sonic continued panicking. "But what explanation can anyone possibly have for something like this?", Sonic pointed to the black, shattered emeralds.

Shadow started to think as Sonic walked back and forth. "This never affected the master emerald did it?", Shadow queried as Sonic grew even more anxious. "Oh no...What if the master emerald shattered as well? Oh man, think about Angel Island! Knuckles is going to kill us if something like that happens...OR WORSE-"

"SHUT UP!", Shadow bellowed in anger. Deep inside, he regretted blowing up the airship. A little.

He immediately realised that Wave and Storm might have heard them. "First, we have to get out of here", Shadow said as Sonic nodded. Both hedgehogs got on the extreme gears.

Sonic carried the bag of shattered emeralds as they both zipped out of the airship.

Suddenly, a beeping sound broke the silence as Sonic's communicator glowed blue. He clicked on his device and a hologram appeared in front of him.

"SONIC!!!"

"H-Hey Knuckles! How is it going? Good day?"

"Good day...GOOD DAY?!" Knuckles was breathless with anger as seen in his rapid rising and falling chest. Sonic sighed. What happened this time?

"I had enough trouble with the master emerald already. Why do you people have to mess with it anyways? CAN'T YOU ALL LET ME DO MY JOB PEACEFULLY?"

"Listen Knuckles, the chaos emeralds-- "

"That's it Sonic, you have said enough and I am not in the mood of hearing anything else from you"

"Knux, WAIT!!---". Shadow looked at Sonic as the hologram disappeared. He turned off the device sadly. "It's no use, I can't convince him that we didn't do anything on purpose! It was an accident right? And we don't even know how it happened and why?".

Suddenly an idea popped in Sonic's head.

"Let's ask Tails if he knows anything about this", Sonic suggested. Shadow nodded and they both flew to Tails' Workshop. Miles Prower is Sonic's best friend and a scientific genius. His house is always full with unique inventions. He also never fails to upgrade and polish his very own plane: The tornado that he and Sonic fought many battles with Eggman.

As they landed on the ground, Amy Rose the hedgehog, Cream the rabbit and Cheese the chao were already seated inside. Tails the fox was getting his plane ready: The XTornado. 

"Tool box. Check. Radar systems on. Check...."

"Listen Tails. You have got to know what happened to the emeralds." Sonic began hovering beside his buddy. But Tails kept his eyes on the plane's control panels. His hands kept flying to press various buttons and switches.

"We don't have much time Sonic. We have to get to Angel Island. asap. Knuckles informed me about the master emerald slowly fading away in colour. I am bringing along all the necessary devices and equipment so just be prepared to take off".

Sonic heaved a sigh of relief.
At least it's not broken.

But still...

Sonic nodded as he got on his extreme gear and had a head start together with Shadow. .

Both hedgehogs reached Angel Island in a couple of minutes, due to their speed and agility (but mainly because they were racing each other). There, walking back and forth in anger and confusion was Knuckles, the only living descendant of a well-established clan of echidnas. For many years, his clan guarded a huge gemstone: the Master Emerald, which controls all seven chaos emeralds.

Sonic and Shadow landed and dashed towards the fuming red echidna.

"Knuckles, just listen--"

"Oh well, if it isn't the 'hero of Mobius' and 'ultimate lifeform". Shadow kept a stern face as Knuckles crossed his arms at the sight of the edgy black hedgehog.

"Knuckles, It is not what you think"

"Oh so you are blaming me then?" Knuckles was now facing Sonic. His purple eyes bored into him.

"No. For instance, how do you know for sure that the fading master emerald was because of us?"

Knuckles thought for a moment with anger still burning inside him, waiting to explode. But then came Tails with Amy, Cream and Cheese. Sonic clasped his hands together in relief.

"Tails! Finally. Please find out what is going on with the master emerald." Sonic said. Tails flew down from the plane while Amy and Cream jumped out.

"I can't run any experiments if I don't know exactly what happened" Tails shrugged, taking a few steps forward. Sonic sighed.

Shadow began. "The chaos emeralds were stolen so Sonic and I travelled back in time, using a device given to me by Gerald Robotnik in the past to find out the culprit. So we found out that Rouge stole them and then she had a trade with the Babylon rouges for the key to the most ancient jewel museum on Mobius.

The Babylon Rouges used them to power their extreme gear to maximum velocity using a device that stored all of its energy, turning the chaos emeralds black. We stopped them by tying them with a rope.

Then I kinda' got angry and chaos blasted the whole airship. Everything was destroyed but nothing really bad happened to the controls so the airship was still moving. When Sonic turned to the chaos emeralds, they were well, shattered".

"THEY WERE WHAT??!" The echidna's fury sprang to life, pulsing through his veins.

Shadow fell silent and his eyebrows furrowed. Oh great. Here we go again...