Chapter 5

The clock hands on the device turned anti-clockwise and in a flash, both Mobian hedgehogs were transported back in time where Sonic specified. "---blast you and the whole of Mobius into smithereens!", Eggman finished Shadow's sentence as the cannon was aimed at Sonic.

Sonic recalled this scene as Shadow was staring at the device in awe. The time that displayed on the device changed and the hands started to tick clockwise again. Sonic winked at Shadow and Shadow nodded. They sprang into action.

Shadow dashed towards the tree where he had hidden the bag of real chaos emeralds. He came to a halt when he spotted a figure moving through the bushes. He swiftly hid behind one of the trees and observed who that was. The figure was able to fly and its shadow revealed bat-like wings. Shadow could not believe what he had just seen.

"So it was Rouge the whole time? But wasn't she with Eggman a moment ago?", Shadow thought. "Maybe she had came out after knowing that the canon didn't fire. But why would she do this?" Thoughts ran in Shadow's mind as he saw her flying away. Shadow showed a thumbs up to Sonic and dashed away. Sonic turned to the moustached genius who was stomping around in fury.

Sonic chuckled. This is funny to watch

Sonic decided to distract him to give time for Shadow to follow the culprit. Sonic still kept an eye on him so that he can follow him after he's done settling with Eggman. Sonic clapped sarcastically as Eggman grew furious.

"You still don't want to give up destroying me do you Egghead?". Sonic said it in his classic singsong voice. Eggman banged the table and growled. "You won't get away that easily!". 

Sonic mocked "You know, I am starting to feel really special, considering how throughout these years, you have sacrificed all of your wonderful inventions, squandered almost all of your fortunes just to get rid of me! You should really stop wasting precious resources and save the planet..." Eggman kicked his chair as it flew to the other side of the lair and crashed into a glass vase, shattering it into pieces. He snapped his fingers angrily and his robots quickly went to clear the mess. 

"Don't you tell me what to do" snarled Eggman. 

"If you say so", Sonic shrugged his shoulders and dashed in the direction were Shadow went.

"I will get you next time Sonic, NEXT TIME- Wait that's not my line.. That's Dr Claw's...I have to come up with my own catchphrase"

"What! You didn't tell us that you watch that silly little cart---" 

"Nothing boss, a catchphrase is a great idea!"

Eggman twirled his moustache and walked out of the room.

"Decoe are you nuts? We will go into the scrapheap of we don't obey his orders, or give him compliments" Becoe exclaimed in a whisper.

Shadow dashed behind Rouge. Rouge carried the bag of emeralds into an airship. Shadow kept an eye on the airship as he prepared to do a super jump. Sonic caught up with Shadow as both hedgehogs leapt with all their might.

But unfortunately, they were only close enough to the airship and were falling towards the ground due to gravity. 

"NOOO!" Shadow activated the jets of his air shoes and it produced high enough propulsion that let Shadow hover through midair.

Shadow grabbed Sonic's hand and said, "Behold, I can fly". 

Shadow and Sonic safely landed on the airship without anyone noticing and continued following the culprit.

Rouge walked towards the control room and knocked on its door twice. Shadow and Sonic hid behind a wall nearest to them. The door opened and Rouge walked in. Shadow came out of the hiding spot and peeped through the door that was left ajar. He spotted three people already in the room. He didn't really recognise who the trio were as they had their backs facing him. One of them had an annoying voice as Sonic dashed beside him and peeped. He gasped.

"No way!", Sonic gasped in a whisper. He recognised them. Their colour, their style, their gear. 

"The Babylon Rouges?".

As soon as Sonic said this, Shadow remembered. "Is their leader the green hawk? The guy who challenged you to races on his extreme gear?" Sonic nodded. The extreme gear where just like hover boards, allowing one to skate in mid air. 

Sonic turned to face the rouges. Rouge placed the bag of chaos emeralds on the table in front of Jet the Hawk. Storm the Albatross was standing next to him and Wave the Swallow was controlling the airship. "I have gotten all the chaos emeralds like you've asked. Shadow left them under a tree. Very intelligent move. But poor hiding spot if you ask a specially trained spy like me" Jet rolled his eyes and handed over a key to her.

"The key to the most ancient Jewel museum on Mobius. It's yours."

Rouge smiled and did a little bow. "Hope to see you again soon" She took her leave as Shadow and Sonic dashed back behind the wall until she left the airship. Sonic and Shadow then looked at each other in complete shock.

"I thought Rouge was with Eggman! How did she end up here? And how did she know that you were the one who kept the real emeralds behind that specific tree?" Sonic queried. Shadow could only respond with silence. Even the top G.U.N agent did not know how.

"Maybe she saw me hiding it behind the tree, before you started chasing me" Shadow replied after a while. 

"What about that deal she had with Eggman? Maybe after seeing how he broke his promise by not revealing your past to you, she decided to have a deal with Jet and his gang instead?" Sonic voiced out his thoughts. 

"But how? Within that short amount of time? Not a chance" Shadow rested his head on his hand.

The door was still left open as both hedgehogs got back to spying on the rouges. They were about to find out what they were up to with the most powerful gems on the planet.