Chapter 26

Once all of the initiates are down here, me and Lauren round them up and lead them down a narrow tunnel. The hallways are as dark as ever and some of the initiates seem scared by this. They all started to walk slower, even the Dauntless-born. How pathetic. They've been down these halls before.

We hault and turn around to face the initiates. They stop and I see that the Stiff ran into some Erudite boy.

"This is where we divide," Lauren says. "The Dauntless-born initiates are with me. I assume you don't need a tour of the place."

She smiles and gestures for the Dauntless-born to follow her into the depths of the compound. I wait till all of them are gone. Most of the initiates were Dauntless, like it is every year. But this year is different. There is another Stiff here with me.

I scan the crowd to see what I am left with. Nine initiates. I have to deal with nine inexperienced, immature brats. Great. There is only one Abnegation, no Amity, the rest are Erudite and Candor. As I expected.

"Most of the time I work in the control room, but for the next few weeks, I am your instructor," I say. "My name is Four."

"Four? Like the number?" some initiate asks. You know what, if these stupid Candors and Eruidites would just keep their mouths shut, I wouldn't have a problem with training transfers.

"Yes. Is there a problem?" I ask with irritation in my voice.

"No." she says slightly backing away.

"Good. We're about to go into the Pit, which you will someday learn to love. It-" I get cut off by that iggnorant Candor.

"The Pit? Clever name." she snickers.

I walk up to her and lean close to her face. Narrowing my eyes, I stare at her for a second. She isn't as pretty as the Stiff but she has mocha-colored skin. She is taller than Tris, too. After a second I ask quietly "What's your name?"

"Christina." she squeaks.

"Well, Christina, if I wanted to put up with Candor smart-mouths, I would have joined their faction." I hiss. "The first lesson you will learn from me is to keep yor mouth shut. Got that?" I say starting to straighten my back.

She nods, in fear. And I know it's in fear.

I start to walk towards the double doors that lead to the Pit. I hear quiet footsteps following me.

"What a jerk" whispers Christina to someone.

"I guess he doesn't like to be laughed at," says Tris.

Well, she got half of the truth right, so, smart Stiff. Wait. No. Well...yes she is brave since she jumped off of the roof first, but she can't be... No, she just can't. Well, I guess I'll find out later in stage two.

When we get to the doors, I push them open and look around. I love the Pit, its so lively.

"Oh," whispers Christina, "I get it."

She is probably talking to Tris again. They seem like they'd be good friends.

I begin to walk over to the chasm. "If you follow me, I'll show you the chasm." I gesture for the initates to move. Some nudge the other to bring them out of their daze.

I can feel all of their eyes watching me now. I continue to walk to the right side of the Pit until we get to the railing. The roar of the chasm is all I can hear as I recite the speech I give every year.

"The chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy!" I shout. "A daredevil jump off this ledge will end your life. It has happened before and it will happen again. You've been warned."