quarante - scraped knees

Troye found himself overthinking about everything.

In the past few months, he was just accustomed to wearing Jacob's clothes and breathing in his scent while he fell asleep. He was used to the small tugs on his soft caramel curls and the low humming sound that lingered near his ear drum while Jacob played with his hair.

He was used to being spooned by the taller dark haired boy as he drifted off to slumber land and he was used to the hazel pair of eyes mesmerisingly adoring his features as he woke up every morning next to the person he loved , the person who kept him warm.

He was used to Jacob in general. He was used to the love that Jacob gave him. Without it, Troye just felt anxious, a big void weighing him down and making him plummet on the ground internally. He couldn't even speak about it if he wished to because he thought this was just too overreactive of him.

So he just kept quiet.

He watched Jacob ignore him for a whole day after they kissed sneakily.

But he was patient and he waited. He knew that after his dad would go away, everything would go back to normal.

And then he watched Jacob ignore him for two days.

Three days.

Four days.

And that's it.

On the fifth day, he had had enough. He was desperate to just go and be near Jacob. He wanted to feel the presence of Jacob near him. He just wanted to breathe the same air as him.

"Troye, are you dreaming? I just taught you about noun clauses and you seem a bit restless," Jo asked as the two of them, perched on top of two barstools at the breakfast bar had two books spread around them. Both were English grammar textbooks.

"Non clauses huh yeah," Troye nodded his head quickly. He knew that he didn't know a thing about it. He was not even paying attention to what Jo just taught him but he didn't want to give that away so he just nodded his head.

Jo sighed as she said, "If you were really paying attention to what I taught you can you please explain to me what a noun clause is, Troye?"

Troye bit his tongue. He was caught in his own web as he sighed and looked down at his feet. The truth was that he was disappointed in himself. He always tried to listen to Jo as carefully as he could because Jo took a great amount of efforts to explain something to him.

"Santa Claus?" Troye asked, unsureity heaving down in his small voice. He didn't even know that whatever he said right at that moment didnt even make any sense. He saw the look Jo gave him and his shoulders slumped against the barstool.

"I not paying attention. I'm sorry," Troye said.

"I was not paying attention, not 'I not paying attention', you forgot the auxiliary verb again, Troye," Jo said.

"I am sorry again, I not— would not do the mistake again," Troye said.

"That's okay, you don't need to be sorry for it. You're learning a whole new language, you're bound to make mistakes so don't you dare put yourself down for it," Jo said slowly, clarifying each and every word to Troye as Troye just nodded.

"Okay, so I am just gonna leave the noun clauses for someday else. Right now you tell me what is bothering you?" Jo asked.

Troye hesitated for a moment. He was still unsure about the fact whether he should tell Jo about what he was feeling or not. The thought of being judged by some other human was enough to make his heart race faster.