Chapter 2

I was told to wake up early this morning. Last night was very restless, as I couldn't believe what I've done. I feel a mix of emotions ranging from anger, sadness, excitement, and guilt. My fists are still red and the pain I felt hours ago still lingers. As I packed my things, I realized that I will miss this house after all. It was home to me, I spent almost all of my childhood with in here with Kaela. 

After getting ready I went downstairs. I kept my eyes glued to the ground in order to avoid my parents' eyes. My father stood up and carried his bag in one hand with keys in the other, then walked out of the house. My mother smiled at me "did you slept well?" she asked. I looked at my mother, who have been so far away from me almost all my childhood. It's like all of the sudden she is nice to me, and I can't help but feel hesitant to accept it. 

If what happened yesterday never occurred, would she be this kind? Like father, my mother doesn't explain anything. About where she and father are, what they do, why I'm left alone... I may sound like I'm asking for too much but I can't help it. Would've I been happier if they were there for me ever since I was a child?

I nodded slightly at my mother but avoided her eyes, then walked towards the car. There has always been no communication, very little comfort, nothing that can make me feel like a normal child. Why the sudden change? If she really means it, she would try harder. 

The car ride was awfully silent. I noticed my parents sharing glances here and there, as if conveying messages secretly. "We're moving to your cousin's house, Faye" my mother said, sounding slightly enthusiastic "there will be another family there, you can make great friends" she added.

My father sighed, then said the first thing he said to me all morning "Don't do anything like this again, it's hard for me."

I tried to forget what my father said by looking at the window. Both of them sound exhausted, and a part of me wants to ask them so many questions. I want to share my thoughts and have them share theirs, but the wall is too high that bringing it down seems so hard.

After a while I fell asleep, and when I woke up I was in a beautiful neighborhood. It almost looked too good to be true. It's much more friendly looking than my old neighborhood, the green grass, tall trees, flowers, shops, neat sidewalks and streetlights makes it look very well taken cared of. It didn't cross my mind that this might be the neighborhood my cousins are in, but I had my hopes high when the car went deeper in the neighborhood. It feels so friendly, and so beautiful. All the houses look like mansions.

Our car stopped when we reached the biggest house of all. At first I thought my parents are admiring the house, but my father stopped the engine and told us to go out. I picked up my suitcase and followed my parents to the front door of the big house. As I looked around the neighborhood, I realized that the air is so much fresher here. There are few people walking around, and each of them looks well off and rich. 

The door was opened by a man that looks like he's in his early twenties. Is this my cousin? He had dark eyes and neatly swept hair, and like the rest of the people in the neighborhood, he was dressed very sleekly and looked very polite. His features doesn't resemble mine or my parents. To start with, he's tall and we're well below average height. He had a flat expression, which makes him look almost sad but also angry at the same time. 

He looked at us for a second before raising his eyebrows "Oh, are you the family moving in?" he said. My mom nodded then said "Yes, I'm Allison, Melanie's sister and this is my husband Parker and my daughter Faye, we hope we didn't come too early." The young man scanned us then gave us a smile "not at all, miss Allison. I'm Luke. Please come in" he said.