Chapter 6

*I've made a small change to the end of Chapter 5, which is why the start of this chapter is different.* 

--------

"Well i'm here to know everything you do about the house, so you'll only enlighten me" I said. Nina smiled, and I felt confused on why. She said "thank you... I r-really like mysteries but usually people don't like listening to me talk all about it. I feel great that I have a friend I can share this with comfortably." I smiled "go on then" I said. 

As silly as it is, I still think there is a chance Esther is Mikaela. Maybe there have been a hole in me ever since Mikaela left, because she was the only one I had. I want to fill it with anything that allows me to fill it, and at this moment, "Esther girl" is doing something to satisfy that need. "Is something wrong?" Nina asked, making me realize I've been spacing out yet again. I shook it off, I'd be embarrassed if Nina knew that I think Esther might be my old friend. "Well, it's just Cam talked about somebody like that too. He said Uncle Jo talks about 'a girl with messy blonde hair' a lot" I said. Nina chuckled and rolled her eyes playfully "Oh, geez. Of course, Uncle Jo loves her" she added "she was such a kind and loving person to everybody. Uncle Jo was really close to her, so it really bummed him out when Esther disappeared out of the neighborhood."

"That's pretty strange, for her to disappear like that" I said. Nina nodded in agreement "everybody misses her dearly. But no one knows where she is" she said. "What about Luke's stepmother? Shouldn't she know?" I said. "Oh about that" Nina said "she disappeared mysteriously too... shortly after she got remarried, which happens to be when Esther disappeared." I was a bit puzzled by the information "that's a bit.. uncanny" I said. Nina looked very interested talking about this "right?" she said.

I wanted to dig deeper "can you tell me more? I'm really curious" I said. Nina smiled at me then said "of course, it's my pleasure." I smiled back "you seem to be very indulged in this" i said. Nina looked to the side "well, I always wanted to be somebody that can bring justice. These things really interest me" she said. "Really? That's so wonderful" I said. Nina doesn't strike me as the kind of person that would have that kind of dream, but the fact that she does makes me admire her more. "huh?" Nina looked confused and embarrassed. "I think it's really cool that you're enthusiastic about it" I said. Nina smiled brightly at what I just said "you think so?" she asked, eyes wide. I nodded to agree. She looked at me shyly "thank you" she said.

"Erm anyway... sorry, I will continue on the house" Nina said "I'll start with telling you about Luke's stepmother. She is very beautiful and as I've said, very mysterious. Nobody really knows what she works as, but she is said to disappear at night frequently. I have seen her myself" she said. She continued "but nobody wants to ask her about her job or what she does, because she is very powerful in this neighborhood. When she disappeared suddenly, the police held an investigation but it was stopped by the lead detective since they don't want to mess with her affairs" she said.

"Heh.. power" I said. Nina nodded "I know, right? There is no end to the possibilities, so I can understand why the police stopped the investigation. But there can be really big missing pieces here" she said, frustration apparent on her face. Nina looks so into this, her sparkly brown eyes are even more starry than usual. "You should do something about it" I said. "What?" Nina exclaimed, as if what I just said was impossible. "You should. I mean, you're certainly determined" I said. Nina looked flustered "well yeah, but I can't just do it!" she said. "Who ever said you can't? If you wanted to you can do many things, as long as you don't let anybody stop you" I said. Honestly, I find her response a bit bizarre. Why is she so certain that she can't?

"Well that's true but-" she stopped to say "you really got my hopes high just now. The thing is my parents won't allow me to take a law major for college. They've said it a million times" her face becomes sorrowful. I didn't like how she looks so sad, or how restricted she seems to be. The look on her face looks miserable, unlike what I'm so used to. "Cheer up. It's not like it's for sure" I said. Nina didn't look very convinced "i've tried hard to convince them" she said.