Chapter 9

It has been difficult, but I've been keeping my promise to Seth by staying silent. Nobody in the house suspects anything out of Seth, and we acted as if everything is normal. It's not ideal but seeing how Seth is behaving now, he seems perfectly fine.

The next day school went as usual, and I went home with the people in the house. To our surprise Luke isn't home, I assume its for his job interviews. Seth said all of the sudden when we were both in the living room "oh I just remembered" he said "James, my half - brother is coming home today. He's bringing a friend." Looking at his expression, I said "you don't look very excited." Seth's eyes widen at what I said, and his mouth became tense "that's very personal" he said. Right at that moment Yuna walked in. She looked at me then at Seth, then back at me with judgemental eyes.

            Honestly, every time she looks at me that way I just want to walk up to her and ask her what's her problem. But that is not happening. Seth waved cheerfully "Sup sis!" he said. "Nothing, i just want to get my book" she said. "Oh, is it for the Physics project about space?" Seth asked. Yuna whined "gosh, I hate getting reminded of it" she said. Seth smiled at her "me neither. But you better get to work" he said, gesturing with his hand to send Yuna out as if he were a kindergarten teacher.

            For the first time I saw Yuna smile. It was barely noticeable, with the corners of her mouth just slightly lifted up. But she looked nice when she smiles, and all of the sudden she doesn't feel so dominant anymore. "You too, idiot" she said before she left the room, not even glancing at me as she did. Seth chuckled at his twin sister, then looked back at me.

"She seems nice when she smiles" I said

"Of course. She needs to smile more, but she's tired of getting told to all the time" Seth said as he laughed slightly. I felt a bit bad for laughing along with him, but I have to admit that Yuna has a face that can scare off little elementary children to their mothers crying.

            Some time passed and we were both in the living room. I did some work on the computer but find it hard to focus, while Seth is sat still watching a documentary about how humans evolved from apes to who we are now. "Hey -" I said but was cut by Seth, who I thought was deeply indulged in the documentary he's watching "HEY!" he responded loudly. I rolled my eyes at him and he only laughed louder.

            It took some time, but for the past few days after that day he went home bruised and bloody, he started opening up to me more. While I told him about my childhood and Mikaela, Seth told me all about his dreams and interest in history. He said to me before "its so interesting, right? The place we're standing on right now is  where dinosaurs used to roam. The water we drink have been recycled countless millions of times. Some of the trees we pass by today are thousands years old. I get so lost when I think about it" His eyes sparkle and he smiles way more, which makes it nice and comfortable to be around him.

It's so much nicer to talk to somebody who is willing to open up and share who they are with you. It's like the feeling you get when you go snorkeling. You're a human being and you ruin nature, but in the ocean, the fishes still swim right by you. The feeling that you are not feared, but equal, accepted, and one with your surroundings is unspeakable to me. When everyday you face lies and expectations, sometimes it's nice to be around things or people that remind you          on how you are accepted and belong no matter where you are or what you do. It's weird that I'm comparing Seth to fishes I've swam with in the sea, but he does give me that sense of comfort and belonging. Like he doesn't see himself as any more or else than I am, and accepts me for who I am with no expectations of failure or success. I get to be comfortable that way.

            "When will James and his friend arrive?" I asked. Seth thought to himself, as if to remember something "around 8 or 9 p.m.? Anyway, we don't need to be bothered about opening the doors for them or anything because James has a key" he said "we can chill." At what he said, I nodded. Luke have said many good things about his brother James and I'm really curious on how he'll be like.