Chapter 16

A couple days have passed and the whole atmosphere is just as gloomy. Luke haven't been home as often because of his job, but when he does come home I make sure to talk to him and ask him about his day. 

One night, he came home and approached me. "My brother sent me these pictures of some notes he found in the library" Luke said. Luke's brother James and his friend Caleb have left on Friday, the day of Seth's severe injury. At that time contacting him or Caleb was out of the question, since the university is even further away from Grey mountain and both James and Caleb are horrendously busy with school.

"What is it?" I asked Luke.

He showed me his phone with the pictures that James have sent him. "It was pretty random of him to send me these all of the sudden" Luke tilted his head "but they look similar to what you've found, right?" he asked. I nodded. The notes were old looking and if I remembered correctly, had the same or at least similar handwriting. I haven't been looking back at the notes that I've found because of everything that have happened. But now that I'm reminded of it, I get reminded of Mikaela. What if I really can meet her again?

It makes me very hopeful. On the phone, I briefly read the texts James sent Luke "found these while I was scavenging the library for useful books. I forgot to show you." It was followed with "are you doing fine? I'm sorry I am not able to contact you often." And "I had a great time at home. I pray for everything to go well."

"I've texted them to you, but you haven't saw it so I thought I'll show you now" Luke said. Whoops, I'm never on my phone.

"Thank you" I said, truly thankful. And a bit embarrassed. I still know it can be perceived as really silly, but Luke looks like he completely understands and support it.

"Hey, don't be embarrassed about these thing, okay?" Luke said. He sounded as assertive as when he gives orders, which makes me feel a bit flustered. Before I knew it, I was shaking my head "yeah... thanks again" I said.

After that, I told him to rest because he must've had a tiring day already for he arrived home pretty late. I checked my phone and told planned to visit Nina tomorrow, so we can analyze the text together.

____________

"You found more notes?" Nina asked excitedly. I smiled, but shook my head "Luke's brother, James found them. I only have pictures of it" I said. Nina smiled "then show me! I want to see" she said.

I've read the notes myself last night, and it left me feeling excited, but also confused and a bit sad. That's the theme these notes seem to possess: Sad. And poetic. I thought they sounded a bit like Mikaela, which raised my hopes. However, the actual content of it made me feel a bit guilty. If it is Mikaela then I really knew nothing about her.

The first one read "Gift of God, Star. Such beautiful name meanings. Much less like me, who not only have no name but has no family to call home. Like there is no meaning to who I am at all."

"How... sad" Nina blurted out. I nodded. Nina's eyes glimmered again "wait a minute! Let me search what names have the meaning 'Gift of God' and 'star'!" she said.

"...How come I didn't think of that?" I spoke mostly to myself.

Nina immediately took out her phone and searched it up. "Oh my gosh" she gasped.

"What? What is it?" I asked. 

She showed me her phone, revealing something that surprised and satisfied me at the same time.

"Star means Esther! Could it be? No, it must be!" Nina said. I looked at her phone "wait, what does Gift of God mean?" I asked. 

"Oh, wait a minute" she said, typing something on her phone. Then showed me "Mikaela" she said.

I was in too much disbelief, I couldn't even say anything.

"Woah, I never saw you look so shocked before" Nina said.

"that... Mikaela is the name of my old friend" I said. It sounded like an understatement, but I continued. "My suspicions were right after all?" I said.

Nina smiled brightly "Great! How amazing is that?" she said. But then I remember the actual contents of the writing, and figured that right now I should show her the other note James found before I drown in the inescapable train of thought that'll lead me to insanity.

"There's another one, and it's long" I said.

"Show me, show me!" Nina said.

It read "I escaped a thunderstorm, I held on to what I have. I wanted to be kind, I wanted to be brave. But these words don't mean anything to me now, for they smudge with what I've read is good and what I've seen brings good luck to people. Even when they mistreat others, they get to be happy. They still have a lot of money, a lot of friends and a happy family. When people are nice others take advantage of it. Taking everything they have and seeing them as an object"

Mikaela... how can you keep this much away from me?

"Are you guys doing something fun?!" Suddenly Carly came in the room, the opening of the door surprising me. "We're reading some notes found from Faye's house's library" Nina answered. "Ooh! Library!" Carly said "what is it?" she laid herself down on the bed with us.

"it's sad" I said. Carly shook her head "I hate sad!" she said "but I want to know. Show me."

"Anyway Carly, where have you been all day?" Nina asked, showing my phone that has the notes to Carly. Carly casually said "stalking Cam."

"What?" I blurted out. Carly giggled "he never leaves his windows shut! I can see him from miles away!" she said, making me realize she has a binocular in her baggy pants.

Nina said "you have been worried about him, right?" she asked. Carly scoffed "pfft.. No" she pouts, then admits "he is just always frowning now, and can't even focus in class" she continued "I hate seeing that."

"Why not you come to the house more often to talk to him?" I said, remembering what Cam said in the taxi on the way to Glowing Hearts hospital. He wished Carly was there. I can bet that more than anything, Cam wants to have Carly around to comfort him right now.

"Yeah, stalking is a bit far, Carly" Nina said. Carly hit Nina's shoulder, which what looks like quite a lot of force "you don't know anything though sis! He doesn't respond when I talk to him" she said "It's so... unCAMmy"

I almost snorted.

Nina laughed "that's pretty good for you" she said. "FOR ME? WHAT DO YOU MEAN FOR ME?" Carly said, looking annoyed. It's cute. But it's also a bit scary because she doesn't look like she's kidding. I can imagine how happy Cam would be if he knows Carly is worrying about him this much.

"Anyway, maybe tomorrow you can come to our house Carly. Trust me, Cam would really like it" I said. Carly shook her head "I don't want to be ignored again. It's a horrible thought" she said, sounding a bit sad. "But you care about him right?" Nina said.

"why are you making me answer questions like that? I'm just frustrated" Carly responded  "he needs to talk to me if he wants to. What even is going on in his head?"

Nina spoke in a patient voice "Come on, Carly. It's for Cam right?"

Carly was a silent for a small moment, before she scoffed, yet again.

"It's for Cam" she said.

______

A/N:

Sorry for the late upload, and to me this chapter is lacking so I'm sorry if it is

Hope you're having a good year :)