Chapter Three

The next day I was like an hour late. I slept in. I got ready and refused to do my makeup. What was the point anyway if I couldn't have my precious coffee. I got his coffee and the smell alone was very comforting. I also got his daily muffin and got to work taking my time.

When I walked up to his door I knocked and walked in. "I thought you were taking the week off?" He asked, and I just shrugged. "Is something wrong? Are you sick?"

"It's eight in the morning. I need coffee." I said getting upset. I set his coffee down and his muffin. I took a seat across from him. He drunk his coffee and I glared at him.

"Lighten up. I am sure there is more drinks in the break room." He said, and I frowned at him. How could he deprive me of something so precious to me. There was a knock on the door and he got up and opened the door. There was a couch being moved in. I just watched as he directed them. He got cash out and paid the men their money and they left. "Try it out. See if it is comfortable for you. If not we can always get another one for your liking." He said. I stood and took a seat on the couch. It was very soft, and comfortable. "Now lay." I laid down and it was really comfortable. I flipped on my side and closed my eyes. "Do you like it?"

"Mhm." I replied enjoying how plush it was.

"Good." He said.

....

"Emily." My name was called. Someone shook me. I opened my eyes slowly and saw Mr. Jones. I closed them again. "Emily it's time to go." He said again in a nicer tone. I opened my eyes and he helped me up.   "I'll take you home."

"It's fine I got my keys." I said and we walked out his office and he locked it up. "I'm sorry I slept. I should have been working. I can stay and file, or whatever."

"Don't worry I accomplished a lot today. Don't stress. Let's go get dinner." He said and pulled me towards the elevator before I could speak. "What are you hungry for?"

"A burger, with fries, and a milkshake." I smiled.

"Anything else?" He jokes and I was shocked that he actually had a smile on.

"I'm starving I haven't ate all day. My energy is drained." I said and his smile faded.

"I want you to eat every morning. I will order us lunch everyday." He said. He's back!

We left and went to grab a burger. "Yes can you put bacon on it." I smiled and she nodded.

"Just. Cheese burger and fries." Mr. Jones said. When he waitress left. "What do you like to do for fun?"

"Jumping off a bridge or going to college parties getting drunk." I said. "I'm joking before you lost the rules again." He looked amused. "I sit at home bake cookies, and binge watch tv."

"Tell me about yourself."

"I'm Emily Carter. I graduated college  right at the time I worked for you. Majored in Human Resources, but minor in business." I shrugged.

"When are you going to tell your parents?" He asked.

"My parents....well my father left when I was a baby. My mom died after I graduated. She was so proud of me." I smiled.

"My condolences."

"It's fine. She's in a better place now." I said, and our food came. I sighed. I was really hungry. I thanked her and dug in. I squirted bbq sauce on my plate. I munched on a fry and moaned at how good it tasted in my mouth.

"If you don't mind me asking, what did she die of?"

"Cancer. She smoked a lot. Never at home. I have asthma so she kept it away from me."

"Are you allergic to anything? I forgot to read about that in your report?"

"No." I replied and picked up my burger and started to devour it. I danced to the soft music playing in the background. This burger was life. I reached for another fry but it wasn't there. I continued eating in my own worked.

"You can have mine." He spoke placing his fries on my plate. I looked up.

"I'm fine." I said and wiped my face. I put my burger down and reached for my phone. It was dead. I sighed.

"You can borrow mine if you need." He handed me his phone and I called Bryson.

"Hello?"

"Bryson it's me." I spoke.

"Where are you Emily! I have been worried! You haven't answered my text or calls." He exclaimed and I held it away from my ear.

"I went out to eat. Sorry. My phone had been dead. I don't have my charger. I will talk to you later okay." I said and we said our goodbyes. I finished eating my plate, and I sat back in my chair. "I'm stuffed." I said. He glanced at my stomach. My food baby was showing. "This will go down soon." I said patting my belly while laughing.

"I can't wait. I hope it worked." He said eyes sparkling at the idea of his first child. I didn't want to talk about it. "You ready to go?" I nodded and went into my purse. "I'm paying." He said and I shook my head. "Let me pay Emily. Save your money for something special." I put a twenty on the table.

"A tip." I said and he just shook his head at my stubbornness. I stood and he waved the waitress down and swiped his card on their machine. The waitress thanked us and wished us a great night. We left and I laid out on the front seat. "Take me to my car." I mumbled trying to get comfortable.

"I don't want you driving in this time of the day. It is too dark and too dangerous. Get some rest." He said and I sighed. I slowly fell into a deep sleep.