For the Children

Chapter 1

Jennifer

"Knock; knock, ready yet love?"

I turned to see Adam dressed in a black tux standing in our bedroom doorway looking at his watch, the one I got him for Christmas. Celine was hosting her annual charity ball at the Musée Jacquemart-André. "Almost", I said putting in my diamond drop earrings. I studied my reflection in the mirror; I had decided to go with a retro 20's look for my hair and a smokey eye look for my makeup with a bold red lipstick. My dress was full length red lace fit-and-flare style, with a v-neck. Adam came up behind me and warped me in his arms. "You look beautiful", he said leaning down to kiss my neck. It felt so good to be in his arms engulfed by his scent.

Trying not to laugh I said, "Well I have to try and keep up with you." I turned around and kissed him briefly. "We are going to be late if we continue this." I put on my heels and used his shoulder to keep balance," Is everyone else ready?"

"Yeah, Michael is at 404 House and the limo is out front." Adam said. Finally ready I got my coat that I had left on the bed and we both made our way downstairs. It felt like a dream being with Adam and at any moment I would wake up and be back in my bed in Missouri. It had been nine months since we had decided to give us another go and we are still going strong. We're not your traditional couple and our love story is definitely not Disney approved but I wouldn't have it any other way. After a contract marriage deal, being perused by assassins and a near death plane crash I'm finding it hard to believe that anything could break us.

Once we finally got in the limo Adam pulled out a small box and handed it to me, "I thought we agreed no more extravagant gifts like cars" I said remembering the Rolls Royce he gave me before Christmas.

"You said that, not me," he said smiling, "Plus, this is something you actually need." I opened the box and found a pair of keys. "Is this like the key to your heart because I like that? Awww I can wear it as a necklace and everything."

Laughing he said," Only you would come up with something like that but No, you already have that anyway; these are the keys to your new apartment."

"What?" I said shocked.

"Yvonne and I were thinking since you're going away to school the least we could do is find you a safe place to live. So, when I saw this place I couldn't pass on it; it's close to your school, in a good neighborhood, with security at the front desk--"

"Probably, cost an arm and a leg", I said cutting him off. I had decided to go to Columbia for medical school but, I wanted to make my own way. I got a teaching certificate so; I could find a job when I made it there in the fall of next year. Clearly, my mom and boyfriend/husband had other ideas. Adam and I decided to stay married so legally if the DEA's office tried to take us to court we couldn't legally testify against each other.

Adam continued "We just want to make sure you're safe, your biggest concern should be going to class and getting good grades not scraping by". I know his heart was in the right place and the few times I had looked in to accommodation it knew it was expensive to live in New York. "And for my own selfish reasons you're only 7 hours from Paris".

"Thank you, eventually one day I will be able to stand on my own two feet" I said smiling, "Then I can wine and dine you". I put the keys in my coat pocket, making a mental note to myself to search up the place as soon as possible. "I'll look forward to the day, love."

We arrived at 404 House, walking in I clocked Michael checking his self out in the foyers mirror. Michael had grown on me he was eccentric but lovable. I had started to see him as a little brother a pervy, but harmless, little brother.