Just Us

Chapter 41

Jennifer

I'm not dead?!

I woke up in a dimly lit room. There was a window close by showing it was twilight.

This place is close to a lake.

I sat up in pain.

Someone fixed me.

I looked around the room and saw cherry wood floors and ornate Victorian style furniture. The fireplace was lit.

What happened after I passed out? Is everyone ok?

I sat up and noticed I was only in a tee shirt.

Where am I?

I got out of bed, the floor was cold on my bare feet. I grab the fire poker and walked out the door. I was in a stately hallway, this was definitely a manor. With its old design schemes. The whole house felt like Adams office but older. I made my way down the hallway holding the poker like a baseball bat ready to swing at anyone.

This looks like a place that Adam would own, but where was he? I made my way down the spiral concrete staircase. This was definitely, an old building; not designed by Adam.

Once I made it to the bottom of the staircase I heard a voice coming from the back of the house.

Adam! He's ok!?

I ran past a den and a kitchen and found him. Adam was in a small office looking a tablet. He didn't hear or see me. I was relieved and sad at the same time. I was thankfully he was okay, but heartbroken too. I remember the questions Adam asked me during the shooting. They were normal questions any couple would be faced with; our future. After everything that's happened, that would never be true for us. How could we have children? What kind of future would we being giving them? How many more attacks could I survive? I wouldn't let my children be used, like Rodger used his kids to carry on his empire.

Before Adam, I never thought much of death, but now it's become a very real fear. I love Adam, truly I do. I had an idea of the life I wanted, none of which involved assassins, shoot outs, drug deals and the constant fear of death. I would have to let my fantasy of a normal family go. So no kids. I already didn't get the wedding I dreamed of. Now, I would have to be OK with not having the big family, I wanted.

How else would this play out?

I stepped out of the door way and walked back down the long hallway. I didn't get far before I sank against the wall.

There's only two options for us. The first is Adam could leave this world behind him. We could start all over with no drug ties. Realistically, I don't think Adam could let go if he wanted to. This business is a part of his identity. I could see him for a little bit trying to have a normal life. In the end it would lead to resentment of me, for making him choose. We wouldn't last long then. The second is, we just continue on the way we are. That would be fine for a while, but I wanted to be a mom at some point. I want to save lives as Trauma Surgeon. So far, I've killed two people. How long could I survive in this world?

I put my head in my knees and cried. I was frustrated, I couldn't think of a win-win situation. I loved Adam to much to just walk away. So, I had to be okay with option two. I know I'm not at a point in life where I should be thinking about kids, but that still doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.

"What's wrong?" I popped my head up and saw Adam. His voice was soft and full of worry.

Since, when did he start walking like Batman.