Battle Ready

Chapter 9

Jennifer

"So what happens next?" I said to Michael. After the fourteen hour flight, Michael checked us into to the seediness motel I had ever seen. The curtains were broken with holes in them; the walls and bed were dirty and stained. The TV didn't work and the bathroom was just a nightmare. There was a pungent smell of rot, but I didn't complain, in fact I can understand why Michael likes the more luxurious things if this is what he has to deal with when he is on a job. He took my phone and put it in a lead box.

"Changing clothes and waiting", Michael said reaching under the bed and pulling out two plastic bags. He threw one at me full of clothes and equipment.

"Still mad?" I said knowing full well he was.

Standing up he started to undress, I turned around to give him some privacy.

"Little thing, you're never going to be Adams equal, I know it's hard to realize your place. Trust me I've tried to fight it many times; there is nothing you can do about it. When Rodger started to groom Adam he stopped being my cool older brother; that liked to play video games and raced me down the stairs. When I had a bully Adam was the first person I ran to". I turned around; he was putting on his shirt. "I've been by his side loyal and unwavering since he began down this road. I've seen him do horrible things unspeakable things that would make you sick", Michael was walking slowly to me.

"I have had to too, because he's my brother and the closest thing I have to a real father. He has been trained to be the boss, the king, the god. So, if he called me right now and told me the sky is rainbow colored. Then the sky is now officially rainbow". Michael stopped in front of me and tilted my head up.

"We will never be his equals, we are mere mortals, and we will never understand the power he has, and like a god he can give life and take it away". Michael said with sadness and a hint of bitterness. Michael was always jokes he was serious now and it was unnerving.

"You have put him on quite the pedestal", it was my turn to step closer now, "Just remember, none of this would be possible without you too. I don't believe in fake gods, he's a man same as you. If you had been born second--"

"I would have finished what Rodger started, the destruction of the Caffery name. I was never okay with getting that kind of dirty. It's a skill you learn over time, little thing. The best thing you can do now is stand behind him have his back next to me. After, today you'll see why". He went to the window and peeked out of the curtains. In a commanding voice Michael said, "Get changed, our ride will be here soon".

I did putting my hair into a ponytail, I put on the polyester sand shirt, the black tactical pants with a waist leg bag complete with; flashlight, a small first aid kit, whistle, multi-tool, and compass. I also put on the dusty brown lightweight combat boots, tactical fingerless gloves, watch and the full body armor; t was heavy and suffocatingly hot. There was a soft shell jacket too so I decided to tie that around my waist. At the bottom of the bag there was a small knife that I put it in my shoe.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I looked in the dirty mirror on the dresser and saw my reflection, I looked battle ready. Michael looked the same except his get-up was all black, had a gun, sunglasses and a backpack.

The room shook violently, I looked at Michael who said," Time to go, my team is here". The motel was in the middle of nowhere, nothing but uninhabited desert for miles around. We walked outside; the sun was starting to set in blood shades of red. There were five black hawk helicopters and Humvee cars in the parking lot. Michael walked to one of the men who got out of the car and started speaking to him in Spanish. If I had to compare Adam's team to Michael's there is no comparison. Michael's team was all military, tough guys, people who had seen, done and lived through some tough situations. Dressed in the best equipment money could buy with the biggest guns I had ever seen. Nobody was in a suit here.

Thankfully, I had studied four years of Spanish so I could understand the majority of what they were saying. It was hard to hear them over the helicopter rotor blades but I could make out that Michael was making sure everyone was ready. He said it was going to be an hour's flight to the GPS coordinates. He also stressed that he didn't want to be out that far at night. Saying we would be in their territory and anything is fair.

Whos?

The main man talking to Michael looked to me and asked Michael what I was doing here. Sidestepping Michael I walked up to him and shook his hand introducing myself in Spanish. He was easily 6 feet tall and built like a brick house, early 30's with a long jagged scar down his arm. He introduced himself as Iker, Michael was done with the formalities and got into one of the helicopters. Spray painted on the side of the helicopter was the word Hermes. I would have never have taken Michael for a Greek mythology buff.

I followed Michael in the helicopter there were eight people inside. A pilot, gunner, commander and radio, and the soldiers were ready to move out. I looked to Michael and said," Is it normal to have this kind of gun power?"

"For me, yes", Michael said and then turned his attention to the pilot, "Let's move out". I looked back and saw one of the helicopters wasn't following behind I turned to Michael and said," They're not coming?" He yelled back over the blades, "One always stays behind in case something happens. They'll come after us with a bigger army if needed".

Smart.

No one spoke on the long ride. I was starting to regret my decision of wanting to come. I thought this was just a deal, everyone here is battle ready. It's too late to turn back now and it'll be over soon anyway.

"Who exactly are you doing business with? Obviously, someone you don't trust for all this. Where are we going? You said all this was happening in Culiacán?" I had a feeling in my gut telling me this wasn't normal that danger was imminent.

Yelling over the helicopter Michael said, "Jalisco New Generation. You would be dumb to trust them, or anyone we meet out here. There was a change in plans we are going to them in Coahuila. It won't be that long". He paused staring at me," If things go sideways, make a deal to get back to the US. Don't be you and for the love of God don't be a hero. It will get you killed. And here"... He snapped a chocker around my neck, "So we can find your body if need be".

I'm freaking out now! He said it so calmly like it was going to happen. I had to remind myself to stay calm Michael has done this a thousand times nothing's going to happen.

I thought back to Adam looking at my engagement ring. Today had been our first fight.

Did I go too far?

I should have thought more before I just spoke, I wasn't thinking about how it must have felt for him. I know I was an emotional wreck but I had my parents and friends to get me through. Who did Adam have? Yes, he had his brothers and Celine but he looks after them he's not the type to just pour out his heart and soul. I can't imagine what he was feeling.

I looked down at my watch and saw it was 2200hrs, which means it was 0400hrs. in London. What was the saying? Distance makes the heart grow fonder. It hadn't even been a whole day and I was already missing him.

"We're here", Michael yelled.