Questions and Compromise

Chapter 45

Adam

Had she lost her damn mind?

"This is just a hypothetical. I'm not trying to offend you or hurt you".

"No, fake kids is one thing. But, you want me--"

"To live to see your children grow up. See them take their first steps, dropping them off on the first day of school, and all their other first's. Is it selfish that I don't want to be a single parent. Our life-style works now for us. But, it can't with kids you're gone the majority of the time. And that's not even talking about the danger".

"If Rodger could do it I could do it too".

"This isn't about Rodger this is about you! The only reason Rodger is alive is, because you're the one who beat the shit out of him. You took over after that. If anyone else had did it, he would be dead", she straddle my lap,"I'm not trying to hurt you, I'm trying to make you think of the future. Our future, right now you're young, smart and feared. But, wait until the next generation comes up and they want a newer younger leader. You won't last. You had a hard time taking ideas from me and an even harder time saying thank you. As soon as they see you as the old man, with the old ways. They'll... They'll.." She couldn't finish.

Kill me, I know.

"Hey", I said softly, holding her face. "None of this has happened".

But, it could.

"Jennifer, I want to be with you until the day I die. I've never thought about children and the side effects of work on them and you. I..." I didn't know what to say.

"Yes", she said.

"I've never thought about doing something different. What I do can provide you. For us. I'm good at this, I can't just walk away. Brandon, Michael, my Mother and Kairi all depend on me to continue running things". Its not what she wanted to hear, but that's the truth. "I will keep you and our children safe, I promise. You all will come first".

"We need a compromise", she said.

"I'm listening".

"Sunday dinners are a must", she said.

"They all ready are, love. So that wouldn't change. I want to stay in Europe, most of my business is done here. It doesn't have to be France, but somewhere in Europe".

She didn't like that, but countered with," Okay, but I want holidays with my parents and one month in the summer in state".

"Fair enough, anything else?" I asked.

"I want them born in the United States and ideally they would be raised Catholic", she said.

"I want the American part too, but I'm not religious. I think Rodger is something, but I never cared to ask. What dose it mean to be raised Catholic?" I asked.

"Catholic school and receiving the sacraments", she said," I would never make you go to church, but I would take the kids sometimes. It would be nice if you were there for their big days like: Reconciliation and First Communion".

"I'm not too crazy about church, but yeah. If that system made you it can't be that bad. We'll try it. My only condition is if things go sideways with school we pull them and go somewhere else. Each kid is different and all that", I said.

"Deal, anything coming to mind for you?" She asked.

"How many kids?" I asked.

"Like five or eight, would be perfect for me", she said happily.