Breakfast

Chapter 6

Adam

I love waking up; I get the best view in the world, Jennifer in my shirts, in our bed. She was still fast asleep, a rare thing that I was finding out. I had never met someone who no matter what time they went to bed always woke up at 7 o'clock no matter what. Looking at the clock I thought rebel, it was 9am.

She looked so peaceful.

There was a little knock at the door, "Jen!" Kairi's voice came through the door. I wanted Jennifer to sleep more, but her eyes shot open at the mention of her name. She stretched and said good morning to me got up and opened the door to let Kairi in.

Anytime Brandon needed a co-parent Jennifer was there, which means I was there too. She and Brandon had talked about an open door policy with Kairi. So at any point at night Kairi can go in to Brandon's room and at any point in the morning she can come into ours for Jennifer. It made me think back to my childhood, I would never go into my Mom's room, mainly because if Rodger caught me, he would have beaten the shit out of me.

Kairi was still in her pajamas she ran pass Jennifer to jump on the bed. I got up, kissed Jennifer and walked in to the bathroom. I could hear them talking.

"Good morning, Kairi! How did you sleep?" Jennifer said cheerfully. I both loved and hated that she was a morning person. I would need crack to have her kind of energy.

"I was a cat with powers and I froze my kingdom, then I took over the world., Daddy told me to stop and come home so, I did". Every morning she told us of a bizarre dream she had the night before. They really caught you off guard.

"How dare he", Jennifer said playing along. "Have you brushed your teeth this morning?" She asked.

"Yep", Kairi said.

"Washed your face?" Jennifer questioned.

"Yes, I get a star on my wall chart?" Kairi said excitedly.

"That depends did you made your bed?" Jennifer said.

Kairi let out a big yes.

"Then, you get your gold star", Jennifer said excitedly, Kairi was overjoyed. Since Jennifer got her teaching certificate she had taken over teaching Kairi Science, Math and a little engineering. What is really impressive is Jennifer is making her more independent. Last year, I knew Kairi was dependant on her nanny's and Brandon to a crippling point. Brandon had always complained it was one of the reasons he couldn't keep a nanny for long and with the drug threats none of them lasted longer than two months.

Jennifer's chart for Kairi was something new too, every time Kairi did her routine or was a big girl she got a star. Once she achieved 100 stars on her chart, we would take her to Disneyland. We could easily buy the whole park out today, but Jennifer said that defeated the purpose of her earning it and Brandon had agreed.

Jennifer was going to be a good mom one day; just how she is with Kairi and Jemma showed me that. I liked the idea of her growing bigger with my kid inside her; we hadn't really talked about the subject. Maybe in the future, I know I would have to step up more. I was shit with kids, I started taking care of Michael when he was 12 but he wasn't really a child then. I was 19 the first time I held a baby-Kairi. I never figured I would want children; the drug world isn't kind to innocents. Hell, I never wanted a real relationship until I met Jennifer and now, I can see that happening; wife, kids, Sunday dinners, which have somehow become an unspoken mandatory thing.

Damn, even a minivan.

Financially I could provide, but so could Jennifer well definitely after med school but she could do it now if she had to.