One Single Moment

Chapter 7

Jennifer

We boarded the plane with no problems. Adam had his best security team with him and Michael had decided to come along. The meeting in Culiacán was pushed up so we would be leaving tonight. I was excited to see the real action, once I did I felt like there would be no more secrets. I would know the 'business' from beginning to end and really understand it.

We sat in the square seating towards the front of the plane. Danielle sat next to me, and Michael and Adam sat opposite. I talked to Danielle for the majority of the flight, she had a hundred questions about school like: How did you know what to pick for your major? What school should she go to? Partying and nightlife work life balance.

She tried to turn the conversation to boys, "I can't really help you there, sorry", I declared. "You don't have to lie to me just because you're with Adam. That's all that matters now. How many?" I was quickly starting to see Danielle liked to gossip. I was out of practice I only really gossiped with Nate.

"Yeah, little thing you had to be a heartbreaker", Michael chimed in, he liked to gossip too. "Really, I didn't do much dating; I was always focused on school grades". Not believing what she heard Danielle said, "So you never went on a date until Adam?

"No, I went on a handful of dates, plus I always had Nate so I didn't really start dating until I was done with my bachelor's".

"Wait, what? When?" Adam snapped his head towards me.

"After Rome, Nate wouldn't let me stay in my room and sulk. So I started dating, I had free time so I figured why not". Not liking that Adam took control of the conversation," How many?"

"A handful" I admitted. "Most of the time Nate would say we were going to see a movie, but would end up leaving me with some guy he had found online for me".

"Interesting, do you still talk to them?" He was clearly jealous, I found it endearing he wouldn't be jealous if he didn't care.

Grinning at him I said," What do you think?" - "I have no idea what to think; I certainly, wasn't thinking dating". There was a strain in his voice, he was hurt but he had no right to be. "What was I supposed to do when you left me on the tarmac in Rome?" I was annoyed now. "You can only cry into your pillow for so long".

"Uummm guys?" Danielle trying to insert herself.

"You know I did that for your own protection", he said sharply. Giving him a sarcastic smile I said, "No I didn't know, and especially after what had just happened on the plane and the hotel. So no, I don't think I was thinking straight, and if I didn't know what was going on in my head I sure hell didn't know what was going on in yours. At that point I was dead to you, the contract was over".

"Guy's?" Danielle said clearly not liking the fight that was about to start.

Adam stood up trying to intimidate me, that doesn't work on me, "That's not fair and you know I didn't want to do it. So you go around and start fucking different guys?"

I stood up too, "Poor you, Life's not fair but, that's what happened", yelling I continued," Your trying to slut shame the wrong girl, I could have screwed every guy in the state of Missouri if I wanted to. You want to know why? Because you lost that right the second you put me on that plane". I saw real anger in his eyes. "What? You want to call me a bitch because I'm right?"

"I didn't say that, but you're acting like it", he said.

Michael whispered to Danielle, "We should probably..." he didn't finish his sentence he just grabbed Danielle's hand and they went to the rear of the plane. We paused not looking at each other.