Boss

Chapter 32

Adam

What happen last night?

I woke up discombobulated. My head is pounding.

"So good of you to wake up, at noon", Mrs. Price said sitting by the book nook drinking tea.

I was so not ready to deal with her this early. Jesus how much did I drink last night? I remember going there, talking and after that, it's a blur.

With a sinister smile Mrs. Price said,"Fair warning, your doomsday clock has begin to tick. It won't be long now", she said sipping her tea.

It is too fucking early for riddles.

Rubbing my face I said," I've been hearing since the day I got here. Where's Jennifer?"

"Packing", she said dismissively.

Settling back down into the couch I said,"For what? To move into the one good hotel. Did she get tired of your shit, finally?"

"HEY, don't you ever talk to my grandmother like that! Apologize!" Jennifer yelled.

I popped up and turned around. There she was. She looked different, I had gotten used to the new Jennifer. I don't know who this version is. Sexy principal or teacher? Her hair was pulled back into a high ponytail with light curls, a black pencil skirt and long sleeve, red, bellowing blouse with high heels.

"Sorry, love. I lost my temper, it won't happen again", I meant it. Because after today I would never see this bitch again.

"Not to me, to Grandma", she said waiting for me to do so.

"Mrs. Price, accept my apology. I'm sorry", I said blandly and forced.

She waved her hand, brushing me off.

"Ok we are ready to leave. But, I promise I will be back for the
Founders Day, formal dance. If Celine and Brandon are okay with it, I'll bring Kairi. And don't forget Nate's big day is this weekend, the opening of the company. Uummm.... I feel like I'm forgetting something, right! Come visit me in Paris! Not when you think I've been kidnapped. I love you! I love you! Thank you, for everything!" Jennifer said hugging Mrs. Price.

"You remember everything", I said amazed,"When did this happen, love?" I was so happy I couldn't move.

"Last night, when I put you on the couch. You haven't been checking in with Michael? No one is leading us. The the Bellefonte are all dead, there's a power vacuum in Sliske Crypt old territories. The other houses want to meet, but Michael's been putting them off because neither one of us is there".

What the hell was she talking about?

"I don't understand, love. What power vacuum? What happened with the Bellefonte?" I asked. How much happened when I was in the coma.

Mrs. Price laughed to herself.

"Adam, what have you been going? Its been weeks! You can't just disappear", She said frantically,"Go get dressed! We don't have time for this! The car is outside". Jennifer rushed out of the room,"NATE, get down here! We are leaving in fifteen minutes!" She took a phone call.

What just happened?

"My granddaughter is on the rise just like my granddaddy was all those years ago. There's a new boss and it isn't Adam Caffery its Jennifer Caffery. You had better prepare yourself, for the new world", Mrs. Price said.

I ignored Mrs. Price and went to find Jennifer. She was in Nates room packing his stuff with Yvonne,"Last chance Mommy, let me fly you back to St. Louis. Daddy has to be a wreck without you. You'll go home and find Daddy talking to a volleyball trying to make fire!"