Shepherd

Chapter 2

Jennifer

We exited the limo and walked past all the other cars, Kairi was bouncing excitedly to get inside. I turned my head to Adam and saw he was smirking, grimly at a van. Hooking arms with him I asked "It's the latest and greatest in pedophile getaway cars." I said jokingly.

Laughing he said, "No, it's them."

The DEA, so far they had left us alone, when Adam sent me home for my protection, they had a hundred and one questions but it stopped there.

We continued to make our way in; when we reached the front door I saw Celine and Rodger greeting the guests. Celine wore a beautiful white mermaid style dress she was adorned with jewels, combined with her smile and grace she looked regal.

When she saw us she instantly brightened up and pulled us all in for hugs and said," Go in its just about to start, I just need to wrap up here." As we walked in I saw the museum was a mansion it really felt like we were stepping back into time. The whole place was designed in a Haussmannien style. Adam helped me out of my coat and we walked into the foyer swarming with people, conversation filled the air.

Immediately we were greeted by Adam's 'associates'. Each man that came up to us was as bogus as the last. Anyone of the seven great drug houses would gladly kill us all to have the number one spot. Adam worked hard to create his empire one that has made him more powerful than any country, government or person. Everyone that shook our hands and smiled politely were phony's they all wanted that kind of power- his power.

I whispered into Adam's ear that I was going upstairs and see one of the paintings before the evening began. If I was being honest I didn't want to be around the back stabbers, thieves, liars and murders; these were Adam's 'friends'. I couldn't keep the fake smile up; I told him I would meet him at the table.

Celine was doing something different this year as far as the entertainment was concerned, I had suspicions it was all my Moms idea. Celine and my mother had become close friends after my graduation. My Mom helped Celine pick 12 men and women that the guests could win a date with. All you had to do was be the highest bidder, with this crowd it would be a battle of egos. All the proceeds made tonight would go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I would never say no to helping this worthy charity so I agreed to be auctioned.

I made my way up the marble spiral staircase and found the painting I wanted to see Tiepolo's Fresco. It showed Henri III returning from Poland, to take the throne from his brother Charles IX. The painting was so beautiful and I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't hear someone coming up the stairs.

"The last of the Valois dynasty and the only intellectual to have ever ruled France, a great man". A voice said from behind me, making me jump.

"Unfortunately, he had the misfortune of ruling during a civil war and had no heir ending their reign" I tilted back to the voice then turned fully around. I had never seen this man before. He was in his late 20's, tall, with brown skin like mine. He had the most breathtaking eyes second to Adam's, but this man's were a stormy blue.

"Hi, I'm Trey Shepherd, It's always a pleasure to meet another art enthusiast", he said shaking my hand.

"Jennifer Caffery, I wouldn't call myself an enthusiast, I have more of an admiration for the skill and one art appreciation class" I said.

He laughed, "A class that clearly accomplished its goal, if you're up here alone and not enjoying the party downstairs."

" I figured we have all night for the party, why not get to see the art first then booze the night away with the elites."