The Holy Trinity

Chapter 20

Jennifer

Hey.

No, more sleep.

Hey.

Go away.

Hey!

Sleep!

Wake up!

Something poked my face. I open my eyes and saw Kairi.

My head. My body ached.

With big eyes she said,"Its time to say good morning to Daddy! I drawed him a picture yesterday. See." She held up a picture of her and Brandon in a park.

"Drew. You drew him a picture", I said waking up. Let's get you ready for school".

"It's Friday, no school!" She beamed. I got her and myself ready for the day.

Where was Nate? If anything he drank more than me and he was still up. That never happens with him.

Kairi sat down next to Celine who was sleeping on a couch next to Brandon. Every night she and Rodger slept in one of the boys room. Just watching over them.

Brandon was awake, but he couldn't really talk and until we got his hands working again we couldn't really communicate with him. Other than blink twice for yes and once for no. Kairi made him a picture everyday and she hung it up on the wall for him. He was sleeping too. Kairi knew to be quiet when he was resting. So I let her sit a little longer with him and went to check on Michael.

Rodger was in his room sleeping in the chair. Michael was up.

I knocked gently on the door and quietly said,"Good Morning, how are you feeling?"

"Good, better than most days", he said. Michael was making impressive progress, he didn't need a wheelchair anymore. Just a cane. It hurt him to walk, but Dr.Pellegrini said in a few more months he wouldn't need the cane and the pain wouldn't be so bad.  most days he was heavily medicated. I don't think he wanted to be awake if he couldn't walk. He couldn't heal if he didn't try physical therapy. Michael had more mental issues than physical, the kind he would carry with him for the rest of his life.

"Do you have a minute to talk?" He said bleakly.

"Yeah, I got all day, for the sexiest man in the room. Whats up?" That made him smile. I popped off the wall and sat at his bedside.

"Whats going on out there?" This is the first time Michael has asked about the business since he woke up in El Paso. I don't think he's ready to hear about everything that's happened.

"Well, Sara is dying to come visit you. But, you keep saying no". That was true she texted me and Nate almost everyday just to check on him. I think this is the first time she's ever chased a guy and for three months too. Do I hear wedding bells in the future?

"No, please. I'm still..." he trailed off.

"Still what? Broken? Half a man? Come on, you know you're not. A broken man would have just died in Mexico. Half a man wouldn't be sitting here talking to me. It's your choice in the end, Michael. But, I think seeing more than just us would be good for you. I'm not going to push you, you're already pushing yourself. But, at least think about it?" I said hugging him.

"Ok, maybe." He said hugging me back. That's all I can ask for is that he try. I brought him his laptop, hoping he would at least Skype Sara.

I walked out of Michael's room and into Adam's. Danielle was on the couch typing on her laptop.