f o u r t y - s i x

been tooooooo long. so sorry. double update for this short chapter.

-
We've been quiet all morning, and I can't really tell why. Something seems to be on Harry's mind, but he's just been silent about it.

"What do you want to do today?" I ask him, rubbing in cetaphil onto my face.

"Up to you." He says quickly, then turns around and walks out of the bathroom.

"Harry," I call out loudly, wanting him to come back to the bathroom. He doesn't respond, so I dab my face with a towel and walk out to seem him on the bed. "What's going on with you? Why are you being so quiet?"

"Just tired." He says, obviously lying. I roll my eyes and he sighs.

"What?"

"Do you trust me?" He asks randomly. I look at him confused, and he raises an eyebrow waiting for me to answer him.

"Of course I trust you, Harry. What are you-"

"Do you trust that I'm not going to freak out or run away from you if you tell me something you think I don't want to hear?"

"Where is this coming from?"

"I just feel like you don't. And I've never really thought about it before but you've been keeping so much from me and reasoning with yourself that it's okay because you think I wouldn't want to know. You didn't tell me about the pregnancy test, about Gabe and the whole reason we broke up was because you didn't tell me about your job."

"I trust you, Harry." I say again. "I don't tell you stuff because I feel like it's something that would hurt your feelings, like the Gabe thing, and it's such a stupid pointless thing it shouldn't even-"

"Exactly! Stop thinking every little secret is gonna tear me apart. It's not going to, I love you, and you can trust me." He says. I sit on the bed next to him and rest my head on his chest.

"I love you." I smile. He kisses the top of my head and sighs. We stay quiet for a bit, and then his phone rings.

"My mum." He mumbles, answering the phone. I get up and go back to the bathroom to put some moisturizer on. I hear some muffled conversation but I'm not really paying any attention. I put a little makeup on and some chapstick, then head back to the bedroom a few minutes later.

Harry's sitting on the bed, head in his hands.

"You okay?" I ask, walking to the dresser.

"My stepdad-" Harry takes in a deep breath. "You know how he has cancer,"

"Yeah, is he okay?" I ask, and Harry gulps.

"Uh, no, he's not. My mom just- she said he's got a few days at best." Harry says quietly, looking shocked and upset. I immediately go towards him and pull him into a hug. I hold him for a while, not saying anything and pressing small kisses on his neck.

"I'm so sorry, Harry." I say, hugging him tighter.

"Yeah, I-uh, I need to go home."

"Of course, of course. Do you need me to come with you?" I ask him, releasing from the hug and holding his hands.

"No, I think I should do this alone with my family." He says quietly, I nod. "I'm gonna pack up some stuff and get a flight out of here." I don't say anything, and watch him throw clothes into his small suitcase for a few minutes before he runs a hand through his hair and sighs.

"I'm gonna go for a walk." He says suddenly.

"I'll come with you,"

"No. It's- uh, it's okay." He says, walking out of the room.

Watching him walk out like that breaks my heart. I know how close he is to his stepdad and this must be breaking him. I know he was heartbroken over the cancer, and I can't imagine what he's going through now- I just don't know how to help.

My inner mother comes out and I decide I'll neatly pack his things while he's gone. He threw all of his clothes in here so I empty the suitcase out and start to fold. I want to go with him and be there for him, but I guess I understand why he'd want to be alone with his family.

I finish packing and grab a piece of paper and a pen. I write a little note for him to read when he opens his suitcase, and sign it with a heart. God, I fucking love him so much.

-

It's been about an hour since Harry left for his walk, and i'm starting to get a little worried. He left his phone here so I really don't know how to contact him, he's just out and about in Aspen.

Soon enough I hear the front door open and close, and I assume it's Harry. I hear him walk towards our room quietly, and then see his face. His eyes are a little red and he just looks sad. His eyes go straight to the packed suitcase, then back to me, giving me a weak smile.

"When's your flight?" I ask, lying down on the bed.

"Four." He says, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. "I'll probably leave here around two thirty."

"I'll drive you there." I tell him, and he nods.

"I'm gonna take a shower." Harry gets up and walks to the bathroom, closing the door. I sigh and sink into the bed, feeling horrible for him.

While Harry's showering I watch some Netflix quietly. After about twenty minutes, he walks out fully clothed rubbing a towel against his hair.

He sits next to me on the bed and falls back into the pillows. I put my phone on the nightstand next to me and wrap my arms around Harry. I place my head on his chest and rub his arm soothingly. He doesn't really react, but he lets me hold him.

xoxo
lucy