f i f t y

(please read authors note at end)

february 1st, 2018
9:49 am
emma

I slowly get myself out of bed trying not to wake Harry so I don't ruin my whole little surprise. He's been doing a lot of planning since tour is coming up in a few months, and today's one of the few days in the past two months that he has absolutely no obligations. So obviously I'm gonna spend all day with him, it's his birthday!

I run downstairs, grab some eggs, onions, feta, spinach and mushrooms and pull out an omelet pan to make an omelet for Harry. This isn't really the "surprise" I have for him, but I did want to make him a little breakfast in bed. I finish the omelet and grab a plate, fork and a kombucha to put on the small wooden tray.

I hold the tray tightly, trying to keep it balanced as I go up the stairs so nothing comes off. Once I reach Harry's room, I hop on straddling his legs, and place the tray in front of me, over him.

"Wake up, birthday boy." I grin, poking his cheek. His eyes shoot open, looking scared at first, but once he focuses in on his surroundings and calms down.

"What's this?"

"What does it look like?" I tease. I get off his legs and snuggle in next to him. "I made you breakfast."

"I see that." He grins. "Thank you." He kisses my cheek.

"How's 24 feel?"

"Completely different than 23." He grabs the fork and takes a bite of the omelet. "Jesus that's amazing. Why don't you make me omelets every morning?"

"Because you're out of the house before I even wake up." I raise a brow.

"Shh. None of that, it's my birthday." He pops a childish smile. "What are we doing today?"

"I'm not telling you." Harry gave me permission (after much begging) to plan today. I don't have a hot air balloon trip or anything extreme like that planned, but I'm excited. Just spending time with him all day is exciting enough.

"Have a bite." Harry says, taking a sip of his kombucha. I grab his fork and take a bite. "How's that dick from work?"

"My boss? Still a dick." I roll my eyes. "On Monday he made me stay late to finish a report for no fucking reason. Michelle was doing literally the same thing and she left on time. It's like he targets me."

"Why don't you just quit?"

"I'm not going to quit, Harry. You saw how long I didn't have a job, and I actually like this one minus that fucking asshole."

"I don't like how he treats you."

"That's life. I'm the girl and he's the powerful dickhead fuck that tells me what to do."

"Well, it shouldn't be like that."

two hours later

I chuckle lightly as Harry's story about the other day and rest my head on his bare chest.

"How's writing going?"

He sighs, and I dance my fingers across his abdomen.

"It's harder- like a lot harder than last time. I feel like I have all these ideas and these inspirations, but when I try and put it to words it comes to shit."

I lift my head and turn to look at him with a sad expression on my face. "I'm sure it's not shit, Harry. You're too hard on yourself and it sucks because you're very very talented."