Chapter 21: The Second Task

Cassiopeia's POV
I woke up to Harry shaking me. "Adrianna wake up!" I opened my eyes groggily, I was confused by why he was calling me Adrianna for a second, before realizing that had been my birth name. I looked around and realized that we were still in the library.

"What?" I asked him.

"The second task starts in ten minutes Adri we have to hurry!" He said.

"Dammit!" I said standing up quickly. I realized Dobby the house elf was standing next to Harry. He handed Harry something that was supposed to make him breathe underwater.
Harry shoved the Creevey brothers out of the way as we ran down the steps out of the castle.

"They took Ron. It's the person that you'll miss the most" Harry said as we ran to the black lake.

"What? They put people down there?" I asked, Harry nodded. Suddenly it all made sense, why McGonagall had wanted Ron, Hermione, and Fred. Merlin Fred is at the bottom of a lake.

"I'm.. here..." Harry said, trying to catch his breathe.

"I'm... sorry... we're late" I panted, equally out of breathe.

"Where have you been?" Percy said disapprovingly from the judges table. Ludo Bagman said something, and I rolled my eyes, tuning him out.

Soon enough Bagman was spacing us ten feet apart. I was in between Krum and Harry, who was on the end. I felt my nerves starting to go crazy again. What if I drown? What if Harry drowns? What if I can't save Fred? Thoughts were racing through my head, none of them were good.

"Well, our champions are ready for the second task, which will start in my whistle" he said. I quickly slipped my shoes off, fifty galleon shoes should not be ruined.

"They have precisely an hour to recover what has been taken from them. On the count of three, then. One.. two... three!" He sounded the whistle.

I looked over at Harry, who was swallowing the gillyweed. I gave him a smile as we waded out into the lake.

Finally, just as the water was at my neck, I took my wand out. I pointed it at my head, please work I thought to myself. I said the spell and soon there was a bubble around my head. I grinned, I was going to have to thank Fred for this later.

I ducked under the water, my robes were weighing me down. I should have taken these off too, it would have been easier in my skirt and top.

Mermaids will surely live at the bottom of the lake... I thought to myself. I swam to the bottom of the lake, looking for any sign of life. As I got further and further down, I could barely seen my own hand.

I swam as well as I could, my robes flowing around me. I turned around quickly when I thought I saw something move from the corner of my eye, only to see nothing there.

The lake was filled with such an eerie silence that it was making me uneasy. I had expected there to be more life down here.

Then, with the little light I had I saw something swim past, faster and bigger then a fish. I gasped, nearly dropping my wand, this time I really had seen something. I paused for a few seconds, when nothing happened I kept swimming.

Suddenly, something grabbed my ankle, yanking me down into the weeds. I screamed, my voice sounded strange and distant. I felt more hands grab my ankles, and myself being pulled further down.

I panicked, I couldn't think of a spell, or any other way to get rid of them. My mind was blank, I felt helpless, being pulled down by the Grindylows, deeper into the darkness.