Chapter 23: Blackmail

Cassiopeia's POV
I was sitting in potions with Harry, Ron and Hermione, discussing the new article Rita Skeeter had written about Hermione. I was surprised anybody believed it. Hermione was a bright shade of scarlet as she talked about the things Viktor Krum had said to her.

"Fascinating though your social life undoubtedly is, Miss Granger, I must ask you not to discuss it in my class. Ten points from Gryffindor" Snape said icily from behind us. He startled the four of so much we all jumped.

"Ah...reading magazines under the table as well?" Snape questioned, snatching the Witch Weekly article from Hermione's hands. "A further ten points from Gryffindor.. ah but of course, Potter has to keep up with his press cuttings" he added, his eyes glittering.

I glared at him as he began to read the article out loud. The Slytherins were laughing, but I was glaring harder then ever.

"Well I think I better separate the four of you, so you can keep your minds on your potions rather then your tangled love lives. Weasley, you stay here. Miss Granger, over there by Miss Parkinson. Potter- that table in front of my desk. Lestrange, over there by Mr. Malfoy. Move. Now." Snape said.

I groaned mentally, I had to suffer through sitting next to my stuck up, prat of a cousin. The three of us who had to move, stood up to go to our new spots. I sat down next to Draco, cursing under my breathe.

"What's the matter Lestrange? Sad you didn't get as much publicity as Potter and your mudblood friend?" Draco asked.

I glared at him, before replying. "No. I don't want any publicity and neither do they. That article wasn't real. And don't call her a mudblood."

"Oh really, it wasn't real? Could've fooled me, that mudblood probably gets around well with love potions. Now tell me, did your mummy teach you how to confund the goblet to get your name in?"

"I told you not to call her a mudblood, and I didn't think you'd be stupid enough to believe an article like that. As for my mother she had nothing to do with this, and I didn't put my name in" I said harshly.

"Oh I see your mummy doesn't know you entered the tournament. Is that because you're scared you're gonna lose? And why not? She's as much a mudblood as you are a blood traitor." Draco said.

"Shut your mouth Malfoy. I still have two perfectly good fists I won't hesitate to break your nose again" I growled.

This shut Draco up, I turned back to my potion and began to stir it. I couldn't believe I had been so close with Draco at one point in time. Now it seemed someone always had to hold me back from punching him.

I finished my potion, put some of it in a vile, and took it up to Snapes desk. I cleaned my stuff up and hurried out of the classroom. Harry had stayed behind to clean up his potion he had spilled.

"I'm surprised she didn't find a way to drag you into this" Ron said as the three of us walked down the corridor.

"Oh, I'm sure she thinks she can find something much more interesting on me. You know, the daughter of Bellatrix Lestrange. Maybe she'll tell the world I'm a death eater" I said bitterly.

"Maybe. Or maybe she'll make up some twisted story about you dating Harry too, that way she can make you both look bad" Hermione said irritably.

I suppressed a gag, dating my brother? The only thing I had to worry about is making sure Skeeter doesn't find out about me and Harry.
Harry finally caught up with us, and told them all about the conversation he had heard between Snape and Karkaroff.

"You don't think maybe he was showing him the dark mark do you?" Ron whispered.

All three of them looked over at me expectantly. I rolled my eyes at them before answering. "He probably was. That's where they all get branded with them, their left forearm. And Karkaroff was a death eater. I've heard my mom talk about it" I told them.