Chapter 49: Mass Breakout

Fred's POV
The morning was dull and cloudy. I sat up, not wanting to leave the warmth of my bed. George and Lee were still sound asleep. The other two boys had already gone down to breakfast.

My stomach growled, and I threw a pillow at George. He groaned and pulled his own pillow over his face. I rolled my eyes at my twin, it was definitely time to eat.

I stood up and walked over to his bed, leaning down so my mouth was next to his ear.

"WAKE UP!" I shouted loudly.

George jumped ten feet in the air and sat up quickly.

"Did you honestly have to wake me up like this?" He asked.

"Yes," I stated, smirking from ear to ear.

The two of us dressed, leaving Lee to get a little more sleep. The castle was cold when we walked down to the great hall. As we got closer the smell of food made me hungrier.

George and I entered the great hall, and looked around. I was the first to spot the girl with the long red hair. Grinning, I walked over and sat down next to Cassie.

"Morning, beautiful," I said.

"Morning, Freddie," she said, leaning over and planting a light kiss on my cheek.

Hermione soon came and sat across from us. A minute later Harry and Ron joined us. Harry sat on the other side of Cassie, and Ron next to him.

The sound of owls filled the great hall. An owl flew down, and landed in front of Hermione. She untied the Daily Prophet from its leg, and paid the owl. Hermione looked at the front page for a few seconds before she gasped.

"What?" Said Harry, Ron and Cassie at the same time.

Hermione spread the paper out in front of us. The pictures of twelve known death eaters glared up at us. The headline read Mass Breakout from Azkaban, Ministry fears Black is "Rallying Point" for old death eaters.

My eyes went straight down to the women with curly black hair, and heavy lidded eyes. And so did Cassie's.

Her true emotions were only visible for a split second before she covered them up. Even so, I knew she was scared, but part of her expression had been relieved to see that Bellatrix was out.

"Are you okay Cassie?" Hermione asked nervously.

Cassie looked around at everyone's shocked expressions.

"Voldemort is back, and Bellatrix is his most loyal follower. You didn't expect her to stay in there did you?" She said.

Everyone stopped to think about what Cassie had just said. The expressions that spread around told me everyone was thinking the same thing; Cassie had a point.

Soon the table erupted in anger at the ministry blaming Sirius for the breakout. Even I had to agree it was incredibly stupid of Fudge to ignore Dumbledores warning. You-Know-Who was back and we all knew it. Even if some people didn't want to believe it.

Cassie finished her breakfast quickly after that. She made the excuse that she needed to go study, but I had a feeling that wasn't why she was rushing. I quickly followed her out of the great hall and back to the common room.

I found her sitting on the floor in front of the fire place. She looked completely lost in thought.

"Are you alright?" I asked, causing her to jump.

"Bellatrix got out of Azkaban."

I sat down next to her, "Are you scared?" I asked.

"A bit. But she can't get to me here. I'm just... relieved.." she said quietly.

I tried to bite my tongue but the words came out anyways, "how can you be relieved that someone who hurt you is just getting away with it?"

I expected her to be upset, but she just shrugged.

"I saw what Azkaban did to her once. She wasn't a good person before she went in there, but she was even worse when she got out. I don't know what that place is like, but I don't want her going through that again," she explained.

A few weeks later we were learning shield charms in the DA. I was partnered with George today, and Cassie was with Ginny. Kileigh had decided not to come to this meeting.

"Protego!" I said as George sent a spell in my direction.

There was a small flash of light and then the shield vanished, causing George's spell to disarm me. I groaned and picked my wand back up. So far the only people who had really picked this up, were Cassie, Hermione, and Neville.

Everyone had been working especially hard since the ten death eaters escaped. Nobody seemed more motivated then Cassie and Harry though. I had no idea why Neville was working so hard, and I wasn't sure if Cassie was working so hard out of fear, or out of anger.

It took seven more tries before I made a successful shield. Now it was George's turn to try and block my spells. I sent his wand flying several times, and sent a spell that made his eyebrows bushy.

By the end of the meeting we had both mastered the shield charm. We all filed out of the room in small groups. I walked out with Cassie, George and Ginny. We all walked back up to the common room together.

Ginny and Cassie walked slightly behind us, just far enough we couldn't hear what they were whispering. I assumed it was some weird girl drama and turns to my twin.

"Where's Kileigh?" I asked him.

"Studying for newts" he said.

"Isn't that kinda what the DA is for?"

He thought for a second, "Yeah, I guess it is."

Once we got to the common room, the girls went their separate ways. Cassie was very insistent that she do some more studying for her O.W.L.'s. George and I had to do some last minute planning for our joke shop.

Cassie kissed me quickly before she turned and followed Gin up the stairs to the girls dormitory.

A/N- I hope you all like this chapter! Thanks for reading, XOX.