Chapter 3

If there was one thing I liked best, it was having an excuse to get dolled up.

I wore an expensive gold silk dress that hung tight around my breasts and waist as it fell down just beneath my heels, barely grazing the ground.

The street light infront of the building made it shimmer and the light breeze made me shudder slightly.

Clutching onto my purse tightly, I used my free hand to fix up my curls as I smoothed my lips together, rubbing them to even out my dark red lipstick.

I looked up at the building beneath my lashes and I felt nervousness slightly creep up in the pit of my stomach.

"That a girl, Victoria," I cooed to myself as I held my head up high and climbed up the stairs of the massive ancient looking building.

I stood behind a woman with caramal hair and a white silk dress that reached under her knees. She stood with her partner who gave their names to the man holding a list.

"Mr and Mrs..." the man dressed in a suit trailed off, "Ah, Bryans. Please. Come in," the man ushered the couple in which didn't spare him another glance.

"Next please," the man called up and I let an easy smile slip onto my face.

"Name?"

"Victoria. Victoria Strickings," I said with a polite smile.

"I see no Victoria nor Strickings here," the man mumbled mostly to himself.

"Ah! There it is. You must be Mr Williams guest, am I correct?" the man said glancing up at me for the first time and immediately he gave me a toothy smile.

He was cute and his light hair suited him well.

But he just looked so damn gulible.

Like you're one to speak.

"Thats just about accurate," I said sweetly and the kindness in his eyes made me pity him.

It won't get you far, I wanted to tell him.

"A good friend I assume? It's not like Mr Williams to invite guests," he said in a curious tone and the people waiting to get in behind me let out an annoyed sigh.

"Something like that," I said with a tight smile.

I was ushered in and I made my way through the massive doors.

I held my breath as I soaked in the scene before me.

People. Important looking people. Women with hair in tightbuns, red lipstick and pearl necklaces stood with well tailored men.

There were several groups of people scattered across the area. Some laughed and clinged wine glasses while others spoke seriously and exchanged business cards.

I let out the breath I was holding and walked over to a tall table that I was able to rest my elbows on. I placed my purse on the table and picked up the glass which I guessed was champagne.

"You're new to this aren't you?" a voice asked from my left while I held the glass to my mouth.

I looked over at the man in an expensive suit and lifted my eyes to meet his. My eyes widened and I choked on my champagne.

"Are you alright?" he asked with furrowed eyebrows as I quickly cleared my throat, regaining my posture. I nodded my head and gave him a forced smile.

"Yeah, drank a little too fast," I said with a small laugh.

Max.

"Truth be told I have that effect on people," he said with a small chuckle, "-but I'm taken. That beauty over there," he said pointing behind him towards a girl who wore a dark red dress.

Catelyn.

"Sure you do," I said easily and slipped into my calm demeanor.

"I was curious. Seeing you here for the first time I was sure you were new," Max said leaning his arm onto the table.

"I'm new in town. I'm actually looking for a new business to be apart of," I said as I looked at him with a smile.

I seemed to have forgotten how marvelous these three were at acting.

"You got into an event like this just like that? Do tell, are you a friend of Alexander Celeste's?" Max asked curiously.

"I'm sorry, who?" I asked, lost, but tried to look as professional as possible.

It was kind of hard looking into the eyes of your parent's killers.

"Only the most wealthiest man! He arranges these events."

I thought Marcus was the wealthiest man?

As if reading my mind Max nodded his head thoughtfully.

"Though, Marcus and him have been at duel for years!" Max said shaking his head.

He glanced over at me and chuckled lowly.

"Excuse my manners. Marcus is a good friend of mine and I got carried away speaking."

"Marcus Williams? He's actually the one who invited me tonight," I said with a fake tone of surprise.

"Really? Marcus inviting someone? Well I have grown a liking towards you and I hope Marcus treats you well, " Max said with a smile.

"I best be going now. The names Maxwell but I prefer Max."

I know.

"Victoria Strickings," I said back with a nod and once Max was out of sight I downed my glass of champagne.

My eyes scanned the area and immediately I spotted Marcus amongst other men.

I straightened up and made my way over to him, his eyes meeting mine half way.

His eyes lit up and a smirk spread onto his lips as he sent me a wink.

"Gentleman, I'd like you all to meet my newest friend Victoria. "

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

AUTHORS NOTE

I have decided to update. Truth be told sleep wouldn't find me so I decided to type up a quick chapter.

Tell me what you think :)

Ill probably go on with this story but it will be a slow process.

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN

-E