Chapter 3

I watch as they toss him in the pit, shutting the hatch behind him and locking it.

"Why'd you have to lock him up", I sigh, crossing my arms over my chest.

"He tried to run", Newt points out.

"So did I", I say, looking up at him.

"You were different. We all were", Newt sighs.

"So is he. He's new. He's scared. We all were, and we all reacted differently when we got here", I point out.

"You're right... but we have to make sure he doesn't try to run again or attack any of us", Newt sighs.

"I know..."

I watch as Alby approaches the hatch, leaning down and speaking to him.

After a couple of seconds, I see Alby open the door, making me smile.

"See? We didn't keep him in there for long. Now, can you please get back to work", Newt says, making me glance at him.

"Fine", I give in, slipping on some gloves and getting back to work.

*Later*

Newt and I approach them, before Newt speaks. "Hey, are you all right, Alby", Newt asks, making them look towards us.

The greenies eyes set on me, before he glances around, confused.

"A-ha! Green Bean, meet Newt", Alby smiles. "When I'm not around, he's in charge", Alby introduces, as they shake hands.

"Well, it's a good thing you're always around then", Newt admits, making me chuckle. Alby looks at me, before looking at the greenie.

"And this is Bella. The only girl here", Alby says, before I extend my hand.

"Hi", I smile, shaking his hand.

"The only girl? How? Why?"

"Don't know. I was sent up here with this shank", I say, nudging Newt.

"We haven't had anyone else sent up here with another person. Just her. She's special, so eyes off", Newt explains, only half kidding. I roll my eyes playfully, before Newt speaks again. "Hey, that was some dash you made earlier. For a second there, I thought you had the chops to be a runner, till you face-planted. That was great", Newt jokes, making me chuckle.

"Don't listen to him. He's only joking... and don't worry about it. I did the same thing", I say, winking at him.

"Wait, a "runner"?"

"Newt, Bella, do me a favor. Go find Chuck", Alby says to us.

"All right", Newt nods, and I nod with him.

"Thanks."

We both walk off, before Newt glances at me.

"You like him", Newt says, as more of a question than a statement.

"No. Trust me, I don't. Don't get me wrong.. he's cute, but I've kind of had my eye on someone else for a while", I admit, making him raise an eyebrow.

"Really? Who?"

"Like I'm gonna tell you", I chuckle, shaking my head.

"Oh, come on. Don't be like that."

"Be like what? I don't wanna tell you. Simple as that", I smirk, as we walk into the homestead.

I see Chuck eating his late breakfast, so we walk over to him.

"Hey, Alby wants to see you", I say.

"For what?"

"Don't know", I shrug my shoulders.

"He probably wants you to show the greenie around and set up a place for him to sleep", Newt says.

"All right. Where are they?"

"Over by the tower", I answer.

Chuck nods, before walking off.

"Okay. You have got to tell me", Newt sighs, stopping me from walking out.

"Um, let me think... no", I smirk, before winking and dashing out the door.

*Newt's Pov*

"That is some girl you've got there, Newt", I hear Frypan say from behind me.

"What do you mean?"

"Wait... you two aren't a thing?"

"No?"

"Oh. Huh. Means she's free", Frypan says.

"Well, yeah, but..."

"You like her?"

"Who doesn't? She's the only girl here", I point out.

"True, but you seem to have a deeper connection with her", Frypan says.

"I do. We were sent up her together..."

"Then... go for it, man. It's clear she likes you... and it's clear you like her. What are you waiting for?"

What AM I waiting for?