Chapter 8

*The Next Morning*

"Has anyone tried climbing to the top", Thomas asks.

"Tried it. The ivy doesn't go all the way to the top", Newt replies. "And besides, where are you gonna go from there?"

"And what about the box? You know next time it comes up..."

"No, we tried that. The box won't go back doen with someone in it."

"Okay, what if we..."

"No, we tried it, all right? Twice. All right? Trust me. Anything you think of, we've already tried. The only way out of here is through the maze", Newt sighs. "Now, look, you wanna be helpful?" Here", Newt says, tossing Thomas a basket. "Go dig up some more fertilizer."

"I'll go with you, since you don't know where it is", I say, standing up and glancing at Newt.

We both walk off towards the woods, when someone speaks from behind us.

"Thomas. Can I talk to you for a second", Alby asks.

"Well, I was about to go-"

"Don't worry about it, Thomas. I'll get it. I know where it is anyways", I say, taking the scoop and basket from him. He nods and follows Alby, before I walk off, into the woods.

It's so quiet and peaceful out here.

I mean, the graveyard is out there, but it's in the thick part of the woods, in the back.

Aside from that, it really is really peaceful out there.

I find some fertilizer, and I start to dig it up, when I hear a twig snap from behind me.

I stop digging some, before I glance back to see no one standing here.

"Hello? Thomas", I call, standing up.

I glance around, before I start digging again.

There's a shuffling in the bushes, making me glance up.

"Hello? Newt? Someone?"

I stand up again, getting out my dagger.

"Who's there?!"

I turn around, when I see Ben standing a few feet from me.

"Oh, Ben? God, you scared me", I sigh. "What are you doing out there?"

He's breathing heavily, and he's twitching.

What the hell?!

"Are you okay?"

His face is white, and his pupils are big. It looks like....

oh god.

He twitches again, before dashing towards me, tackling me to the ground, yelling.

"What the hell", I exclaim, as he grabs a rock and tries to bash my head in.

I dodge it, trying to kick him off me.

"Ben, get off me!!!!"

"It's your fault... You're a mistake", He growls, pinning my arms back.

He grabs my throat, as he stares directly into my eyes.

He's been stung.

"You did this. You're gonna get us all killed, you bitch!!!"

I feel his grip tighten, as he starts to choke the life out of me. His other hand grips my shoulder, digging into my scar, making me scream in pain.

I gasp for air, using my free hand to reach over and grab a sharp rock. I swiftly hit him in the head with the rock, making him loosen his grip. I push him off me, quickly standing up and dashing off, out of the woods.

"HELP", I scream, as he chases after me. "SOMEBODY!!!"

He grabs my leg, knocking us down the hill. I stand up first, smashing his hand in the ground with my boot, as I run out of the woods.

"HELP!!! HEY!!!"

I feel Ben tackle me to the ground, climbing on top of me and grabbing my throat.

He starts to choke me again, as I try to push him off me.

"I'll kill you!!! You're a mistake!!! You're gonna get us killed!! You and Thomas are gonna bring death!! You need to die!!!"

My vision gets blurry, when someone hits Ben off me.

I take a deep breath, quickly scooting away from him, coughing.

I take quick deep breaths, when I feel someone's hand on my back.

"Don't touch me", I exclaim, cowering away from them.

"It's just me, princess. It's just me. It's just me", I hear Newt say, making me slowly look towards him.

"Newt!" I wrap my arms around his neck, burying my head in his shoulder, and his arms around wrap around my waist. He pulls me to my feet, before I slowly look towards Ben.

Everyone holds Ben down, before Alby looks at him.

"What the hell are you doing?!"

"Calm down, Ben", Gally says.

"What the hell happened?!"

"He just attacked me", I say, catching my breath.

"Are you okay", Thomas asks.

I nod, as Newt holds me close.

"Calm down, Ben.."

"No. No...", Ben says.

"All right. Lift his shirt", Alby says.

"No!! No!"

They lift up his shirt to reveal an awful sting on his stomach.

It's already spread....

"Please... Please."

"He's been stung", Gally sighs. "In the middle of the day?"

"Help me, please. Please. Please just help", Ben says, crying.

"Put him in the pit", Alby orders.

"Come on, everybody help. Take him to the pit. Clint, Jeff, Newt, get her to infirmary", Gally orders. They all nod, before we walk off towards the infirmary.

I watch as they struggle to pick him up and drag him off.