Chapter 23

The guy pushes me in front of the maze, before Gally approaches me.

"Kind of sucks, Princess.... I always found you... so attractive", Gally sighs.

"You really think banishing us is gonna solve anything", I hiss.

"No... but this isn't a banishing. It's an offering", Gally replies.

"What?! Wait! Gally, what are you doing", I exclaim, as the guy pushes me against the pole, roughly, tying my arms above my head.

"You really think I'm gonna let Thomas or you back into the maze, after what he's done", Gally exclaims. "Look around you! Look at our glade! This is the only way. And when the Grievers get what they came here for, everything goes back to the way it was", Gally says.

"Are you listening to this? Why are you all just standing there? He's crazy!"

"You shut up!"

"If you stay here, the Grievers are going to come back. They're gonna come back, and they're gonna keep coming back, until you're all dead", I exclaim.

"Shut up! Tie him up", Gally orders. "Do you hear me? I said tie him up!"

They hesitantly pick him up, before Thomas swiftly elbows them both in their stomachs, grabbing a stick and knocking them back.

Newt and Minho instantly do the same thing to anyone trying to attack us.

Newt rushes over to me and knocks the rope off me, before holding my hands in place and kissing me passionately. "I've missed that beautiful face", Newt smiles.

"And this beautiful face has missed you", I smile, before he releases my hands, letting the ropes fall off.

Gally starts after me, but Newt steps in front of of me, pointing his knife at him.

"You're full of surprises, aren't you", Gally says, as Fry hands me a long knife. 

"You don't have to come with us, but we are leaving. Anyone else who wants to come, now is your last chance", Thomas says.

"Don't listen to him, he's just trying to scare you..."

"No, I'm not trying to scare you. You're already scared. All right? I'm scared. But I'd rather risk my life out there than spending the rest of it in here. We don't belong here. Okay? This place isn't our home. We were put here. We were trapped here. At least, out there we have a choice. We can make it out of here. I know that...", Thomas sighs.

Winston glances at everyone, before walking over to us, and so does Jeff.

A few others start to join us, making me smile.

"Gally, it's over. Just come with us."

"Good luck against the grievers.."

I shake my head at him, before turning away from them.

Newt takes my hand in his, and I look over at him.

"Let's get out of here..."

I slowly nod, before we both run through the maze.

After a few minutes of running, Thomas speaks.

"Everybody this way!"

"Keep it together", I yell. "No one left behind!"

A few minutes later, we make it back to section 7, and I take a deep breath.

"Keep it up, guys!! We're almost there", Thomas yells.

We stop right outside the entrance to the long bridge.

Thomas and I peak in to see a griever guarding the door.

"Is it a griever", Chuck asks.

"Yeah", I sigh.

"Shit", Chuck sighs.

"You take this, Chuck. Stay behind us", Minho says, handing Chuck the key.

"It's okay. Just stick with me", Teresa says.

"Bella, go with them. Keep any grievers away from them. Make sure they get to the door and unlock it", Newt says to me. I nod, before he leans done and kisses my lips softly and passionately.

Newt leans down and whispers some three little words in my ear. "Keep your promise..."

"Then, you better not die either...", I smile, before he kisses me one more time.

"Once we're through, it will activate and the door will open. We stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out now, or we die trying. Ready?" "All right! Let's go", Thomas yells, before they all run in, with Chuck, Teresa, and I staying behind.

We run in after them, and everyone instantly attacks the griever.

The griever swings one person off the edge, and I stab it's leg.

"The key", I hear Chuck yell.

"Chuck, watch the edge", Teresa yells.

I quickly slip through everyone to see Teresa pull Chuck up... but there's more grievers.

"Thomas", I yell, knocking one off the edge. Teresa and Chuck run past them and over to the door.

They hold them off, while I knock more off using both my stick and my foot.

I rush over to Chuck and Teresa to see the doors opening.

"Go", Thomas yells, as they fight off the Grievers.

They run inside, jumping into the dark hole.

I join in, with everyone else, when I see one coming up behind Newt.

"Oh, hell no!"

I stab it in the head, before kicking it off the edge.

"Thomas, there's a code! Eight numbers", Teresa yells.

"Eight sections of the maze", I yell.

"Hey, Minho! What's the sequence?!"

"What?!"

"The sections of the maze, what's the sequence", I yell.

"Seven! One! Five! Two! Six! Four!"

"Heads up", Newt yells, as a griever jumps down from the ceiling and onto Minho.

"Minho", I exclaim.

I swiftly grab his stick stabbing the griever in the head, when it knocks me back.

Jeff steps in and stabs it in the head, allowing Minho to get away.

It starts to eat him, making my eyes widen.

"What's the sequence!! Come on", Chuck yells, as they back into the room with us.

"Six! Four! Eight! Three", Minho yells. "You got it?!"

"Keep holding", Thomas yells, as they hold the Grievers back.

I look back to see the screen has gone to green and it says "complete!"

The doors start to close, making everyone back up, but one griever starts to jump towards us, when Thomas throws a stick at it, stabbing it.

The door closes, suddenly, making Newt grab me and hold me close to him.

I hold onto his waist, as it goes silent.