Chapter 13

"Things are changing", Gally says, making everyone quiet down. "There's no denying that. First, Ben gets stung in broad daylight. And then Alby. And now our greenie, and Bella, who has been with us since the beginning who knows the rules, has taken it upon themselves to go into the Maze. Which is a clear violation of our rules here", Gally sighs.

"Yeah, but they saved Alby's life", Frypan points out.

"Did they? For three years, we have coexisted with these things, and now, you've killed one of them", Gally says, pointing at Thomas. "Who knows what that could mean for us?"

"We have not coexisted with these things!! Coexisted means peacefully. There's nothing peaceful about those things. They've killed our people for three years. That's not peacefully", I snap, angrily.

"She's right.... but what do you suggest we do", Newt asks.

"They have to be punished", Gally says.

Everyone starts to protest, angrily, in our defense.

"Minho", Newt says, making everyone quiet down again. "You were out there with them. What do you think?"

"I think, in all the time we've been here, no one has ever killed a Griever before. When I turned tail and ran, these dumb shanks stayed behind to help Alby. Look, I don't know if they're brave or stupid. But whatever it is, we need more of it. I say we make them runners", Minho replies, making my eyes widen.

"A runner? What?!"

Everyone starts to chatter again.

"Minho, let's not jump the gun, here."

"Runners! Runners! Runners", Chuck chants... by himself.

"If you want to throw the newbie a parade, that's fine. Go ahead. But if there is one thing I know about the maze, it is that you do not...", Gally starts, when I hear the alarm go off again, making my eyes widen.

Oh my god.....

The box is coming up again?

But it only comes up once every month. Not twice in the same month.

What the hell is going on?!

I run outside, along with everyone else, and I rush over to the box.

I watch as it opens up, before Newt and Gally open up the gate.

Newt jumps down into it, before Frypan speaks.

"Newt, what do you see?"

"It's a girl..."

My eyes widen, before peaking in to see her lying on the cold hard metal floor.

"No way. Not another one... It can't be..."

"I think she's dead..."

"What's in her hand", Gally asks.

Newt slowly kneels down and takes the note from her hand.

He opens it up, before reading it aloud.

"She's the last one.... Ever", Newt reads, before looking up at us. "What the hell does that mean?"

All of a sudden, she wakes up, looking at everyone, making everyone back up, shocked.

"Thomas... Bella...", She pants, before her eyes slowly close again.

My eyes widen, and I back up slightly.

How the hell does she know me?! I have never seen her before in my life....

Everyone slowly looks up at Thomas and I, and I let out a deep breath. "Do you still think I'm overreacting?"