Chapter 5

"Hey, Minho", I say, walking over to him.

"Oh, hey, Bella. Damn. You look pretty", Minho says.

"Thanks", I chuckle, sitting beside him. "So.... did you.. did you find anything", I ask, quietly.

"No... Same old stuff. Walls. More walls. Vines. The remains of past people. That's it", Minho sighs, shaking his head.

"So... nothing new happened and nothing was found?"

"Not that I know of. We ran our normal routes, and I went a couple of different ways, but no. Nothing", Minho explains.

*Newt's Pov*

"Hell of a first day, Greenie", I say. He nods, looking down at his hands. "Here", I say, handing him a mason jar. "Put some hair on your chest."

He takes it, before sipping it, instantly spitting it out on the ground.

"Oh!" I laugh lightly, as he hands it back to me.

"Oh, my god! What is that", He coughs. I laugh, as he continues coughing.

"I don't even know. It's Gally's recipe. It's a trade secret", I reply, glancing back to see Gally and another person "fighting."

Then, I notice Bella talking to Minho.

Looks like a serious conversation.

"Yeah, well, he's still an asshole", He sighs.

"He saved your life today. Trust me. The maze is a dangerous place", I sigh, sipping the drink.

"We're trapped here, aren't we?"

"For the moment. But,", I start, turning around, " you see those guys? There, by the fire? Those are the Runners. The one in the middle... is Minho. He's the Keeper of the Runners. Every morning, when those doors open, they run the maze, mapping it, memorizing it, trying to find a way out", I explain.

"How long have they been looking?"

"Three years."

"And they haven't found anything?"

"It's a lot easier said than done. Listen."

We're both quiet for a moment, to hear the maze shifting. "Hear that? It's the maze, changing. It changes every night."

"How is that even possible?"

"You can ask the people who put us in here, if you ever meet the bastards. Listen... the truth is, the runners are the only ones who really know what's out there. They are the strongest and the fastest of us all. And it's a good thing, too, because if they don't make it back there before those doors close, then they are stuck out there for the night. And no one has ever survived a night in the maze..."

"What happens to them?"

"Well, we call them Grievers. Of course, no one's ever seen one and lived to tell about it. But they're out there...."

I glance back to see Bella watching the others "fight."

"Greenie, I've gotta warn ya", I start, making him look at me.

"Did I do something?"

"No, but you see that girl over there", I say, pointing at her.

He glances back to see her.

"You mean Bella? Yeah?"

"If you touch her, I'll break your bloody neck because she's my princess. Got it?"

"Yeah, she's all yours man, so how is she the only girl here?"

"Don't know. Just know... she's off limits."

"You've got it."

She's notices us looking at her, before walking away from the crowd and over to us.

"There's my favorite guy", Bella greets, as I wrap my around her and pull her on top of my lap.

"Hey", I greet, before she leans down and kisses my cheek.

"So, what are you guys talking about?"

"Guy stuff", I reply, making her nod.

"Right, that's enough guy talk for one night. Come on. You're supposed to be the guest of honor", Bella says, standing up.

"Oh, no...."

"No! No, come on. Let us show you around", I say, as Newt also stands up. He sighs, before standing up.