Chapter 5

/Sarah/

It had been about 2 weeks since I'd been grounded I still had about 2 more weeks, but my bruise had finally gone away. I explained to Lyle and Erik in the simplest way possible, I was grounded and I had to drive myself to and from school for a while. I left out the part about my dad hitting me and how he explicitly said I couldn't hang out with them for a month. My days without the boys were pretty boring; I went to school, talked to them during lunch, came home and went to bed. I thought I could try and sneak out the first night of my grounding, but it didn't work out, plus I didn't want him to ground me for longer. It was a Friday night around midnight and I was flipping through an old Cosmo magazine when my phone rang. Thankfully they hadn't taken it out of my room. "Hello." I said, twirling the cord around my finger. "Heyyyyyy Sarahh." I heard a man slur on the other end. "Who is this?" I asked, ready to hang up. "It's Erik and my good buddy Lyle." "Are you talking to Sarah? I wanna talk." I heard Lyle say behind him. "Whats up?" I asked, wondering why they were calling me from a party. "The cops came to the party and we left, don't worry we rode with Perry to the party, but he left and now we're lost." Erik said, hiccuping a few times. "Where are you? What's around you?" I said, getting worried. "Theres a moon right above us, just follow the moon and you'll find us." "That doesn't help her, here give me the phone. Hey Sarah." Lyle said. "Hey Lyle, what road are you on?" I asked, grabbing my keys from my bedside table. "We're on North Beverly." "I'll be there soon, stay where you are." Lyle hung up and I put the phone down. North Beverly literally goes through all of Beverly Hills but here goes nothing. I didn't bother changing out of my pajamas, so I snuck out the front door and closed it quietly. I jumped in my jeep and started my journey. After about 15 minutes I found them kind of close to Cheesecake. "Heeeyyyyyyyy." Erik said, jumping in my car. "Lets go to Cheesecake, I'm starving." Lyle said, sitting in the back. "They're closed, I'll just take you home and you can eat something there." I said, pushing my glasses up. "You do look really cute with glasses, Erik always talks about how cute you look with glasses and he was right." Lyle said, leaning forward. "I hope dad's asleep or else he's going to kill us." Erik said, looking back at Lyle. "He's probably not home yet." Lyle replied and they both went silent. "See you later Sarah, you're the bestest friend ever." Erik said, hugging me and Lyle gave me a wet kiss on the cheek. "Love ya!" he said, waving. "Love you too." I said, laughing.

I woke up and walked downstairs to be slammed into the front door. "Sneaking off with your boyfriends again?" my dad said, practically spitting in my face. Fuck, I thought he hadn't heard last night. "They were just really stressed with tenni-" "I don't want to hear your pathetic excuses." I felt my face whip to the side as his hand collided with my jaw. "Oh by the way you're ungrounded because I obviously can't control you, you fucking whore." I heard him yell as I ran up the stairs. I fell onto my bed and cried, until I wore myself out. I needed to talk to somebody. I dialed the only number I knew by heart. "Hello?" "Hey Erik." "Sarah, whats wrong?" "I um, uh my dad, I'm just really stressed out with school and stuff right now. I don't know why I called you, I needed to talk to someone." I said, biting my lip and wanting to tell Erik everything, but not wanting to drag somebody else into my problems. Erik started talking about random stuff, because he knew that always helped me when I was anxious. He had helped me through many panic attacks and vice versa. That's why we were so close. We knew each other so well.

/Erik/

I heard the phone ring and I picked it up before anybody else could, hoping it was Sarah. "Hey Erik." I could hear her voice was super groggy and I heard her sniffling. She started to say something about her dad but then stopped herself. I couldn't help but wonder if her dad hurt her too. I would never ask her though, because dad would kill me if I told anyone.