Chapter 15

/Sarah/
I was sitting in front of my vanity finishing my makeup and brushing through my hair, while waiting for my parents to finish getting ready. We had dinner with the Menendez family every weekend, rotating between their house, our house, and the country club that the boys played tennis at. "Sarah, are you ready yet?" I heard my mom yell up the stairs. "Coming." I replied, as I hopped into my shoes, walking down the stairs. We drove next door, even though we could easily walk, but that was what "unwealthy" people did. I knocked on the door and heard running and a loud yell from Jose before Erik came to the door with rosy cheeks. "Come on in." he gestured to my parents and I walked in behind them. "Sorry about my dad, he hates when I run in the house." Erik said, smiling and pulling me into a hug. "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever." He said, stepping away. "Erik, you saw me yesterday." I laughed. My parents and Jose were in the lounge and I was about to ask where Lyle was when I heard his voice. "Seriously Mom, you can't be sober for once, we have guests." Lyle whisper-yelled and stormed out of the kitchen. Once Lyle saw me, his face softened and he pulled me into his chest. He held me for a few seconds while I rubbed his back. "Let's go upstairs." Lyle said, motioning to me and Erik. We went to Eriks room and sat on his chair in the corner with Erik sitting on the arm next to me while Lyle sat on the bed. "So we need to talk about us." Lyle said, making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "Erik, you have to promise you won't kill me first." "I promise?" he said, questioningly. "Ok, so I told Sarah about how we both had a crush on her and sh-" "You what?!" Erik yelled, standing up and storming over to Lyle. "She...return-can't breathe."Lyle said, as Erik held him against the wall by his neck. "Erik, calm down." I said, grabbing his shoulder. He released Lyle a bit and backed away. "What Lyle was trying to say is that I returned the feelings." I said, holding Eriks arm. "Really?" Erik asked, looking at me with big eyes. "Yeah, but we need to figure out what's going to happen now, because we obviously can't both date you." Lyle said, pacing. I looked at both of them as they had worried looks on their faces. I couldn't dare break one of their hearts and I wouldn't be able to be with one of them while the other is suffering. I loved them both too much to do that to them. "What if I didn't have to pick between the two of you?" I asked, curiously. "What do you mean?" Erik said, looking up from where he had been biting his nails. "What if I just dated both of you?" I said, wondering if this was a stupid idea. "I mean it could work, we already all hang out anyways, and then we would all be happy and nobody would get hurt." Erik said, looking towards Lyle who had stopped pacing. "Yeah, and next year I'll only be like 20 minutes away, so it won't be a big deal with college." Lyle said, agreeing. "Why didn't we think of this sooner?" Erik asked, smiling. "We wasted alot of time just being friends."

We walked downstairs to see all the food being placed on the table. "Is there anything I can do to help Mrs. Menendez?" I asked, as I watched her pour another glass of wine. "Oh um, yes dear can you get some napkins from the kitchen?" she slurred. "Of course." I went to the kitchen to see the napkins at the top of the cupboard. I looked around for something to step up on, but couldn't find anything. I reached further when I felt a body against mine and the napkins were pulled down. "Here you go." Erik said, holding the napkins out for me. "Thanks Er." I smiled as he put his hands on my waist. He leaned in and slowly moved his lips with mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pushing myself closer to him and I heard him groan. "Dinners ready." I heard Kitty yell as we broke away. "We can finish that later." I winked and grabbed the napkins from him.