Chapter 18

/Erik's Pov/

"You'll never get into any college with these grades! You better start looking at tutors Erik, because I will not be embarrassed by having a child that goes to a shitty school." My dad yelled, as he saw my most recent Algebra test grade. "I have worked my ass off to give you this life, do not make a fool of me and ruin this family's name."  "Dad, I'm trying really hard, the teacher is super mean." Before I could say anything else, my dad cut me off again. "I don't give a shit Erik, if you can't get into college with your grades, I don't know how you're even going to get into a public college, you sure as hell aren't going to get in with your tennis game." he said, as the front door opened. I saw Lyle walk in and thankfully the attention was taken off me. I ran upstairs to my room and threw myself on my bed. I wanted to see Sarah, but I knew I would end up crying and she's bound to start wondering about why I keep going over to her house crying and then leaving without telling her what was wrong. I laid on my bed, staring at my ceiling for a while and I finally decided to go over to Sarah's. I knocked on the door and I heard lots of yelling inside, so I waited a few minutes and before I turned around to come back later. I heard Sarah yell. "Stop dad, please!" I ran back up to her door and rang the doorbell. The whole house went silent. Sarah's mom answered the door. "Hi Erik, how are you doing?" she asked with a smile. "I was wondering if Sarah was around, we had been wanting to see that new vampire movie." I smiled, trying to look behind her to see if I could see Sarah and if she was okay. "Oh actually Sarah just stepped out, she went for a run, she should be back later. I'll tell her to call you." She said, quickly closing the door. I know I heard Sarah yelling, but I also couldn't break into their house. I walked back home and went to Lyle's room. "What's up little bro?" Lyle asked, as he flipped through a magazine. "Does Sarah's dad seem a little off to you?" I asked, not wanting to really ask what I was thinking. "I don't know, maybe. Why?" Lyle asked, sitting up. "I don't know sometimes I wonder if he ever you know like um you know." I trailed off, hoping he would pick up on what I was hinting at. "Why would you think that?"Lyle asked, putting his magazine down. "Because I went over to her  house to hang out with her and I heard yelling, so I thought I should come back later, but then I heard Sarah yelling at her dad to stop and then when I rang the doorbell, her mom said Sarah wasn't there." I said, biting my nails. "Shit Erik, we need to do something." "There's nothing we can do until we have proof, we'll just wait for tomorrow and see how she is in the morning before school." I said, and Lyle agreed. 

That night I barely slept. I tossed and turned all night, lying awake with fear that Sarah was being abused. I had known her for years and I had never noticed anything. But then again, she never noticed anything about my dad. I hated myself for not breaking down the door and beating Sarah's dad for causing her any pain. 

/Sarah's Pov/

I heard Erik at the door and wanted nothing more than to run into his arms, so he could protect me from my parents, but instead I ran upstairs away from my dad and locked the door. I guess my dad was tired of me because he didn't chase after me. I looked in the mirror to see that he had managed to miss the face, like he usually did, so I could cover all the bruises with clothing. 

I woke up and took some aspirin and threw on one of the boy's tennis camp sweatshirts and some jeans. I was thankful for the cool California weather that was not normal, but helped me cover the hand prints on my arms. I saw Lyle's car pull up and I walked out of the house, pulling my sleeves down over my hands, just to make sure they wouldn't be able to see any bruises or red marks. "Hey Sarah." Lyle said as Erik turned around and smiled at me. "Morning guys." I smiled back. "I stopped by yesterday, but your mom said you went on a run. I thought we were going to that vampire movie that just came out." Erik said. "Sorry, I just felt kind of gross from prom, so I decided to go for a run, we can go sometime later this week." I said, hating my parents even more for making me lie to my best friends. "Could we go tonight?" Erik asked. I remembered my dad was coming home early tonight and he had warned if I didn't come straight home from school I would have some more bruises by tomorrow. "Um, I have a lot of homework tonight and my dad doesn't want me going out. Maybe Friday." I said, thankful to be at school, so I could avoid any more questions. One of Erik's tennis buddies pulled him aside as me and Lyle walked into school. "Are you alright?" he asked, motioning down to my arms. " Yep, I have to get to class." I said, walking into English and sitting down, leaving Lyle confused in the hallway. I don't know how much longer I can lie to them.