Chapter 23

I opened my balcony doors, feeling the warm spring breeze brush against me and dropped my backpack next to my desk. It was the time in the year when I didn't have any homework, except studying for finals and I was counting down the days until summer break. Also, it would mean that I'm finally not an underclassman. I changed into a tanktop and some cotton shorts and fell on my bed, lying on my stomach. I opened my planner and crossed out today's date. Ten more days until the last day of school and Lyle's graduation. As exciting as it was, it also meant Lyle was leaving soon. 

I was doing random doodles in the margin of my notebook, when I heard a whistle. I went to my balcony and looked down to see Lyle in my front yard. "What's up?" I asked, looking to make sure my parents cars weren't in the driveway. "Can we go on a drive?" he asked and I nodded. "I'll be down in a sec." I said. I met him on my porch and he pulled me into his arms immediately. "We just saw each other a couple hours ago, but it's good to see you too." I laughed as he squeezed me. "Let's go." he said, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards his driveway. He seemed off and we only went on drives when something was bothering us, so I assumed something had happened with his dad. 

We had been driving in silence for a while and we pulled off on a overlook off of Mulholland. He cut the engine and sat still, staring off into the distance, before I grabbed his hand and he looked at me. "Let's watch the sunset." he said, and we sat on the hood of his car. He wrapped his arm around me and I leaned into him. "I need to tell you something." he said after taking a deep breath. "What is it?" I said, lifting my head from his chest to look at him. His eyes were glassy and he blinked to compose himself. "Ly, you're scaring me. What is it?" I asked, rubbing his knuckles. He looked down at our hands and held mine tighter. "I just want you to know that I love you." he said, looking at me. "I mean that, I'm always going to love you. No matter what." "I love you Lyle. You're still worrying me a little. You're not going to run away or something, are you?" I asked, trying to read his emotions that he usually kept guarded. "No, I've thought about it, but no." he said, his eyes darting around and he wouldn't meet my eyes. "Are you sure there's nothing else you wanna tell me?" I asked, knowing for sure he wouldn't drive us out here just so he could tell me he loved me. "I- um, no." he said, cracking his knuckles and looking out over Los Angeles. "Okay." I said, dropping it and hoping he would eventually open up. He's always been like this though. I joked that it was because he is a Capricorn and they're known for suppressing their emotions. He and Erik were literally opposites. I have seen Lyle cry once or twice and never full-on sobbing or anything and for a little while Erik was crying at least once a week. 

"We should probably get back, I don't want you to get in trouble for missing dinner." Lyle said, after we sat in silence for a while. "Yeah, you're right. They probably just got home." I said, and let him pull me off the hood. "I'm gonna miss this." Lyle said quietly as we drove home. "Yeah, I'm gonna miss having you next door all the time." I said, and Lyle reached out and held my hand. "I love you." Lyle said, pulling me in for a quick kiss as we sat in his driveway. "I love you." I said and kissed him again before leaning back and opening my door. "I'll see you tomorrow." Lyle waved as we both walked to our houses. 

I noticed my parents cars in the driveway and hoped that I had beat them to the dinner table. If not, there was going to be hell to pay. I closed the door behind me and said a silent prayer as I looked into the dining room. I let out a breath as I saw my mom just sitting down. I quickly walked into the room and took my seat across from her. "Well, look who finally decided to show up." My father said as I scooped some green beans onto my plate. "Lyle had a rough day, so we went for a little drive, but I'm back in time for dinner." I tried to point out that I really hadn't missed anything, but I knew he would only be focused on the fact that I was with Lyle. "Still running around with those boys?" He asked, shaking his head. I bit my cheek to prevent myself from saying something I'd regret and just nodded. "You know, when are you going to learn that you should stay away from them? They're no good and you'd be better off with girls your age. Girls that hang around guys all the time does not look good. It looks like you're screwing them." he said, and I dropped my fork, unable to eat anymore. My blood was boiling and I clenched my hands into fists feeling my nails break my skin. 

Dinner finally finished and I stood up quickly. "In a hurry to go see your boyfriends? I don't think so." He yelled and drove his steak knife into my hip. I stared down in shock as he ripped the knife out of my hip and my shorts stained red immediately. I covered the wound with my hand, applying pressure and ran as fast as I could upstairs, knowing they wouldn't bother to check on me for the rest of the night. I went to my bathroom and took out my first aid kit, trying to hold gauze to it, but they kept soaking through. I tied one of my scarves tightly around it and I knew it wouldn't hold. I needed to get to the hospital. I was feeling really dizzy and knew that I wouldn't be able to drive myself. I needed to call Lyle. I stumbled to the phone and dialed the memorized numbers. Please let Lyle pick up. "Menendez house, who is this?" Erik answered. Shit. Now I was going to have to tell him about my dad.