Chapter 9

*Picture is Sarah's bedroom*

/Sarah/

I came home around 5:30, thankfully Erik and Lyle had gone home and weren't waiting for me in the parking lot or at my house. I took a long hot shower to try and destress from what felt like the longest day. I ate a few bites of dinner, before telling my parents I had a really bad headache and headed up to my room. I realized tomorrow was my day for picking up the boys, so I called them and hoped they were eating dinner. Kitty would always answer the phone during dinner. I dialed their number and prayed I would hear a feminine voice. "Hello." Kitty said on the other side. Well at least one thing was going my way. "Hi Mrs. Menendez, I was just calling to tell you that I can't pick up Lyle and Erik for the next few weeks, I have this really big project and I'll be going to school earlier and coming home later, so I don't want to make them late for their tennis practice." I said, not believing that I just got through that lie without stuttering once. "Ok, thank you dear. I'll let the boys know. Good luck with your project." she said, as she hung up. Maybe avoiding them wasn't the best solution, but I didn't want their sympathy and I doubt Erik wants to talk to me anymore, even though I don't know what I did. I decided to call it a night and fell asleep before 8.

/Erik/

Dad was in the middle of quizzing me about the Cold War when the phone rang. The table went silent as we all listened to figure out who was on the phone. "Ok, thank you dear. I'll let the boys know. Good luck with your project." I heard my mom say before hanging up the phone. "Boys, that was Sarah, she said she can't carpool for the next few weeks because of a project shes working on." Me and Lyle looked at each other and then continued eating. "I like that girl, she has a bright future ahead of her. She really focuses on her academics unlike some people." my dad said, referring to my recent 75 on the math test we took last week. I wasn't even bothered by the comment as I couldn't stop thinking about Sarah. I didn't mean to push her away, but after what my dad did last night, I didn't feel like talking and I also didn't sleep. It happened at least once a week now, and I want to tell her but dad would kill me.

/Lyle/

I want to go talk to Sarah. I don't want her to shut me out, but I don't know what to do. She doesn't deserve to be abused, if I could help her I would, except I can't tell anyone, because it's not my place to tell and if her dads anything like mine, it could put her life in danger.