Chapter 20

/Sarah's Pov/

I was sitting on my floor, painting my nails when my dad walked into my room. "Me and Jose have a conference in San Jose this weekend, we're flying out tonight and we agreed that we don't trust you, Lyle, and Erik to be home alone, so you all can drive this afternoon and should make it to the hotel about the same time we do." my dad said, putting all the papers on my desk into neat stacks. "Dad, that's a 5 hour drive. Why can't we just fly?" I asked, putting the cap back on my nail polish. "Our company only paid for our tickets and your mom's and Kitty's and there isn't anymore room on the plane. The boys have their own hotel room, as do you." my dad said, as I stood up from the floor. "Everybody from my work will be there tonight at the party that's taking place at the hotel. I would like you to represent me nicely. You will be there for the first hour and once we've made our introductions, you can leave. Better start packing, if you want to make it before dark, you should leave within the next few hours." my dad said, walking out the door. Once again, I didn't have a say on anything, I just had to go with it and suffer. It wouldn't even be that bad if I didn't have to drive or if I had more than a couple hours of warning before leaving. I quickly packed my bag and called the Menendez house to talk to the boys. "Hey Lyle." I said, after he picked up the phone. "Are you excited for tonight?" I asked, sarcastically and he laughed. "Oh yeah, work parties 5 hours away are my favorite. At least we don't have to share a room or car with them." "Yeah I guess, I can pick you guys up in an hour or so." I said, playing with the zipper on my bag. "Okay, I think Erik is packing now. I heard there's a bar in the lobby of our hotel." Lyle said, whispering the last bit. "Oh really? I'll make sure to pack some cute clothes, so I can get drinks for free." I said, laughing. "It's happened every damn time we've gone to a bar." he said, and I could tell he was smiling on the other end. "What can I say? I'm just so irresistible." I said, and Lyle laughed. "Yeah, sure you are." "Oh so are you saying you can resist me?" I asked, smirking. "Is that a bet?" he challenged. "Yep, I bet you can't resist me for the next 24 hours. If you kiss, hug, or touch me before noon tomorrow, you have to eat canned dog food." I said, smiling. "And if I can resist you, then you have to skinny dip in the hotel pool." "Deal." I said, knowing I was going to win. "See you in an hour." Lyle said, before hanging up. 

I put on my baby pink off the shoulder crop top and black jeans. I wanted to really make this hard for Lyle, because I didn't want to lose to him. I sat in their driveway and saw Erik come out and sit in the passenger seat. I leaned over and kissed him as Lyle sat in the back. "Hey Lyle." I said, turning around and seeing him gulp. I touched his thigh and then turned back around to start driving. "What is wrong with Lyle?" Erik asked as we drove out of LA. "He made a bet that he could resist me all day and if he wins I have to skinny dip at the hotel." I said, tapping my fingers on the steering wheel. "What happens if he loses?" Erik asked, smiling. "He has to eat dog food." I said, smiling at Lyle through the rear view mirror. 

We finally arrived at the hotel and the boys checked into their hotel room to get ready for the party tonight and I put my bag down on my bed and looked around the room. I had a king bed in the middle of the room and a bottle of champagne in a bucket of ice on the desk in the corner. I laid my dress on the bed for tonight and poured a glass of wine. I needed something to help me get through this party and even though I could barely feel any effect from the champagne, I hoped a few glasses later, I would feel a little buzz. 

After finishing my makeup and hair and almost the full bottle of wine, I was feeling great. I wasn't drunk, but I wasn't bothered anymore by the fact I had to act like my father was a great man for an hour and fake smile to stranger who I would hopefully never see again. I heard a knock on the door and opened it to see Lyle and Erik, who looked like they had a few drinks. "Did you guys drink without me?" I asked, sitting on the couch to put my shoes on. "Yeah Lyle bought some beer from the gas station next door." Erik said, smiling. "Thanks for inviting me, all I've had is this champagne." I said, pointing to the practically empty bottle. "Let's go." I said, opening the door. Lyle grabbed for my waist but stopped himself. "Give up yet?" I asked, turning around to smirk at him. He only sighed, "This might be harder than I thought." "Let's go Erik." I said, grabbing his hand and skipping down the hallway with him. 

The party was terrible, but the hour went by a little faster than I had expected. We went up to our rooms to change and then meet downstairs in the bar. I hoped they didn't card, because I had left my fake at home. I sat on the bar stool and ordered a vodka lemonade and looked around. There was one guy who looked to be about 30 sitting a few chairs down from me. "Hey little lady, what are you doing here all alone?" he asked, as I sipped my drink. "I'm waiting for my friends." I said, turning the other way. I saw Lyle coming down the hallway when I got an idea. I stood up from my stool and sat next to the random guy. "So what's your name?" I asked, seeing Lyle coming closer. "Derek, what about you baby girl?" he asked, I could smell the whiskey on his breath and tried not to cringe. "Sarah." I said, giggling and leaning closer to him. "Well Sarah, you're a very pretty girl, how about you and I get ou-" Before he could finish Lyle's fist was in his jaw and Lyle's arm was around my waist carrying my over his shoulder. He carried me into the elevator and held me against the wall. "What were you doing down there?" he asked, looking down at me. "Winning a bet." I said, smiling. His frown turned into a smile, "I hate you." "Do you know if the gas station sells dog food?" I asked, smirking. He smiled and closed the distance between us, kissing my lips hungrily.