Chapter 6

/Sarah/

I was laying on my bed, finishing up the last bit of homework, while my parents were over at the Menendez house for some drinks. I had wanted to go, but the handprint on my cheek was pretty obvious. I heard the door open downstairs and assumed it was my parents. My bedroom door opened and I saw Lyle standing there. "Hey." I said, smiling and then feeling the pain in my cheek and remembering the mark and tried to turn away from him. "I knew something was up, since you didn't come over, so I wanted to check on you. What happened to your cheek?" Lyle asked, lifting my chin and examining it. "I um, fell yesterday." I said, trying to get out of his hold. "I really have a lot of homewo-" "Did you dad hit you?" Lyle asked, before I could finish. I didn't reply, I couldn't lie to my best friend. He pulled me into his chest and held me there for a while. "How long has this been happening?" he asked as he sat on the bed next to me. "A few years." I said, looking away from him. "Lyle, you can't tell anyone, you have to promise me." I said, grabbing his hands. "I promise, but next time call me and we can leave the house for a little bit, or you can come over to mine." Lyle said, pulling me into his arms. "I'm going to miss you next year." I said, as I laid on his chest. "Don't worry, I'm going to UCLA hopefully, so I'll only be about 15 minutes away." he said, pulling me closer to him. "And you can come to all the college parties with me." "I thought you wanted to get as far away from here as soon as possible." I said, drawing shapes on his chest. "I do, but with you and Erik. I would never want to leave you guys." he said, as I looked up at him. "You're so cute." I said, bopping his nose.

I woke up and looked at my clock to see it was 10:30. I usually never slept past 8. I noticed I was still practically on top of Lyle and tried to get out of his grasp. His arm tightened as he smiled. "Babes, if you don't let me go I'm going to pee all over you." I said, laughing. He let go slightly and I managed to break out of his grip. "I'm cold now." he whined as he sat up. I flushed the toilet and walked out to see Lyle putting his shoes on. "Do you want to go get breakfast?" "Yeah I'm starved." I said, quickly changed and put my shoes on. I looked in the mirror and decided to put some concealer on my cheek. "Ok, I'm ready." I said, grabbing my keys. We found a cute cafe and ordered some breakfast croissants and strawberry smoothies. "I have to practice with Erik." Lyle said as we parked out front of his house. We both noticed Joses car was gone, so I decided to watch them practice. When Jose was home while they were practicing, I'm pretty sure the whole street could hear him yelling. It's nice to criticize so you can get better at something, but Jose loses his shit with the boys tennis careers.

A/N: I know Lyle actually went to Princeton, but it works better for the story if he stays in Cali :)