Chapter Thirty Three

Back to where Jun's battle with Valerie. After restraining the slime creature that Valerie had summoned, the young mage planned on turning it into mana for his benefits. While Jun's Rooks was keeping the already immobilized slime at bay, Jun comes closer and place his hand just a couple of feet away from it. As he hesitates, he takes a glimpse a Valerie, who was doing nothing.

Jun: Aren't you going to stop me?
Valerie: That won't be needed since you're going to kill yourself anyway.
Jun: Are you saying I can't handle this?
Valerie: Exactly. You are dealing with something way out of your league, boy. But if you still insist, I have no reason to stop you.
Jun: I...I know that there's a possibility. I know that the risks are high. But if I pull this off, the amount of mana I'll receive will give me a huge boost of magical energy. It'll be more than enough to overpower you.
Valerie: In theory, that might be true. I've placed a large amount of mana just to summon that thing. However, if this leads to your death, be my guest.

Jun was getting nervous from what Valerie said but he tries not to let it get to him. With one push, he place his hand into the slime's body. Instantly, he feels pain all throughout his hand.

Jun: W-What's this...?! It....! It feels like my hand is going to melt...!
Valerie: Just because you stopped it from moving doesn't mean it's not harmless.
Jun: D-Damn it...!

Despite the pain, Jun endures the torture and starts the process of turning the creature into mana. As his hand starts to glow blue, a small part of the slime's body slowly breaks down and turns into blue mana particles, which then gets absorb into Jun's hand. But as the seconds pass by, Jun's face shows more and more pain. After only a minute, the skin on his hand begins to peel off.

Jun: God...It hurts even more. But I can't s-stop now...! (thinks to self)

Jun focus more magic on his hand as his Mana Eater magic picks up the pace. Slowly but surely, the slime's size starts to reduce. Even though she was emotionless, there was a hint of worry in Valerie's eyes.

Valerie: This boy....might be able to do it. I didn't expect for him to last this long. Change of plan, I have to stop him. (thinks to self)

A black ball of energy materialize on Valerie's hand. She fires it at Jun, who wasn't aware of the incoming attack. At the last minute, one of the Rooks near Jun slightly position itself so it could block her attack with it's shield, while still holding the slime in place. It's sudden action startles Jun but soon realize what happened.

Jun: Th-That was close. Thanks buddy. (looks at Rook)
Valerie: That familiar of yours is damn annoying.
Jun: What gives?! You said you'd leave me alone! (looks at Valerie)
Valerie: Things aren't going according to what I had in mind. I'll eliminate you right now.
Jun: Let's see you try!

Several black balls of energy appears around Valerie. They then fire themselves toward Jun. Before Jun could react, his remaining Pawns gets into position as they deflect or block the projectiles. Jun was caught by surprise since they moved on their own without being given an order.

Jun: You guys....What are you...? (murmurs)

He notice that their body was emitting a blue aura. Valerie seems to notice this as well.

Valerie: Impossible. You've already absorbed so much mana in such a short time. It's giving your measly familiars a boost. Your so called Pawns shouldn't have been able to do something as block one of my attacks.
Jun: I see. Then I better speed things up!

The slime gets smaller and smaller by each passing second but at the same time, Jun's hand was getting worst. At this time, his bones were starting to be visible.

Jun: Just...a little...more!
Valerie: That is far enough, Master Jun.

Valerie emits a dark aura from her body. Suddenly, several huge black arms burst from the ground around the area where Jun was. The Rooks and Pawns take position but they were easily destroyed by the crushing blows of the arms. With them gone, the arms turn their attention to Jun, who was all alone now.