10

LAUREN

I sigh and place my stuff on the counter, why this white hoe gotta be here? I ignore who just walked up behind me and turn to the owner/cashier.

"How much?"

He nods, "Seven."

I get the money out and hand it to him, grabbing the bags. I just wanted to come to the corner store and get my shit, we gotta be at the airport in a couple hours, ion got time for dude.

I exit the store and of course he follows me out.

"Yo L!"

I stop and slowly turn around, "What's up Drexel?"

He throws his arms up with a smirk, "So formal."

"Come on, I got shit to do man."

He quirks his brows and walks till he's in front of me and slightly towering me, "Watch your fucking tone bitch."

After an intense minute stare down, he grabs my arm and drags me into a nearby alley. He gets a tight grip on my jaw and holds it in place.

I take a deep breath while clenching my teeth and talk calmer, "I told you I was gonna have the amount you wanted."

He nods, "You told me but, can never be too sure."

"And why's that?" I ask, not really caring.

"You're cocky, you act as if you can't be touched. Especially being Lex's right hand, you pussies think you run shit round here."

The gag is, I don't think.

He pulls his gun out and pushes it on my forehead, "Let me remind you. If you even think about cheating me out, I'll send this bullet so far into your fucking dome before you can take your last damn breath."

I nod, "I gotchu."

"Every two weeks I want my money. This payment, you're giving me eighty thousand. Am I clear?"

"I hear you."

He backs up and tucks the gun back in his waistband, he stares at me with a blank face for a few seconds before breaking out in a smile and laughing.

"See you around L."

I make my way back towards the house and shake my head, the bullshit I gotta deal with. It's no way I'm going on this trip, ima just stay back so I could rack in extra than needed and he can get off my dick.

I walk in the house and Amaiyah runs to the door with her arms up. I pick her up and she holds on to my shoulders, kissing my cheek.

"Did you get the candy?"

I laugh, "Yes because all my kids use me for candy."

"S'not true!" She giggles.

"The giggle, is telling," I smirk.

"I want you and candy," She smiles.

"Your sister said the same thing a few years ago."

I kiss her cheek and go into the living room, I sit the two bags on the coffee table and sit Amaiyah on the couch.

"You excited princess?" I ask.

She nods, "Mhm, I'm gonna build the biggest sandcastle ever!"

"I know you are. Where's mommy?"

She points, "Eli room."

I ruffle her curls and she swats my hand away, "Hey!"

I laugh and walk down the hall, "Sorry!"

I get to Eli's room and knock on the wall, "Hey."

Mani looks up and smiles, "Hey."

"What's up?"

"Getting him dressed."

"Cool," I nod.

She squints at me and finishes putting his socks on, "Why you look like that?"

I sigh, "When you done come talk to me."

I go to the bedroom and sit on the bed, taking my shoes off. I lay back and stare at the ceiling, waiting for her to come.

She comes in a few minutes late and placed her hand on her hip? "You good?"

I sit up and nod, "Yeah."

She rolls her wrist, "Then what?"

"I'm not going on the trip."

Her hand drops and she cocks her head while looking at me with a arched brow.

"You're not going?" She asks.

"No."

I scratch my head and chew on my lip while avoiding her gaze.

"Lauren."

I squeeze my eyes shut then slowly look to her, "Yeah?"

"We've been planning this since last month and now you're choosing not to go?!"

"I want to get over this debt quickly, why take longer than needed and I can get the money by staying here!"

She nods and sarcastically says, "You rather do this then do something your kids wanna do, okay."

"Don't do that," I say.

She sucks her teeth and heads to the bedroom door, "Make sure to tell them why you can't come."

**

I sit in Luke's car with him, Natalie, and another worker. We stay parked in front of a whole other worker's house while I try hacking into his phone and laptop. Apparently Luke thinks he's tryna work with one of Luke's rivals.

"I'm telling y'all, this nigga sus," He fusses.

"It makes sense, every time Blaze do a job, why is there always product missing or money missing?" Natalie asks hypothetically.

I nod and put my attention on my laptop. Right when I hack into his laptop I get a call, I groan and let out a curse. I pick the phone up and sigh when I see it's Normani. I send it to voicemail and go back to the laptop, I'll talk to her later, I ain't tryna hear no yelling right now. I already gotta hear shit from Justine too.

I access the worker's emails and messages and right when I'm about to scroll through and read them out loud, Normani calls again.

"Yeah ba-"

"Listen here you transparent mothafucka, think twice before sending me to voicemail again! Especially during the circumstances you're under, you fake fuck."

"I-I-I..."

"Are we clear Lauren?"

"Yes baby."

"Okay. I called so the kids could say goodnight to you, you know, since you're not here."

"Come on, don't guilt trip me. I keep telling you I'm sorry."

"That ain't me boo, it's all you. You're on speaker now."

After talking to the kids for a good few minutes I try talking to Normani again but she keeps cutting me off and dismissing me.

"Lauren, you and I both know you could've came and still had the money by due!"

"Okay yes, but Mani it didn't make-"

"But you chose to stay back and be all up in some bougie, annoying, goofy bitch's face and Luke's and every other motherfucker in there."

"I wasn't-"

"Whatever, do what you want but don't fucking try to speak to me the whole time we're here."

She ends the call before I can say anything else and I throw my head back while mumbling curses.