The Truth

Ella

"So, what are you getting?" Chris asked me as I looked at various tattoos, finally one caught my eye and I grabbed a template

"So, what are you getting?" Chris asked me as I looked at various tattoos, finally one caught my eye and I grabbed a template. "This one." I answered showing it to her. "Aww, that's really cute." She pointed out, I chuckled walking to the tattoo artist only to see it was Dan.

"Well hello there." He said with a grin. "What can I do for you today, sweet cheeks?" He asked, I handed him the template and he chuckled. "The sideways butterfly." He said and I nodded smiling, his smile was very infectious. "Alrighty, have a seat." He said pointing to the chair, I make my way to the chair and sit on it. "Is there a particular reason you chose a butterfly?" Dan questioned making the chair lean back a bit. "When I was little, I loved butterflies, just something about them that are so beautiful." I answered as he grabbed a wet cloth.

"That is me, but with the moon." He said showing me his tattoo on his arm and smiled. "Where would you like yours?" He asked me, I slightly lifted up the turtle neck and showed him a spot above my hipbone. "Right there." I answered, he nods wetting that spot and he glanced at some of the new and faded bruises on me. "I'm cleaning you with rubbing alcohol if you wanted to know." He pointed out, I nodded and he brought a device.

"So, how does it feel to be the number 1 transfer Dauntless?" He asked as he fixed the device onto me and I cleared my throat. "It feels pretty good." I answered, he sits in a chair next to me and nods. "So, everyone has been asking," He started out and I looked at him as he turned on the device. "Did you secretly date Four when you were both in Abnegation, and when you got here you fell in love with Eric, which made Four jealous?" He asked, the look on his face made me laugh and I shook my head.

"Why is that even a rumor?" I asked him laughing and he chuckled. "It's just, this look Eric gives you most of the time, it's like, how can I describe it?" He questioned trying to think. "Oh! It's, um, it's how you look at the butterflies." He explained, I stopped smiling and looked up at the ceiling. "He looks at me like that?" I asked Dan and he nods. "I mean, why wouldn't he?" He answered looking at me. "I mean you are beautiful." He adds, I felt myself blush and looked back the ceiling.

"Eric needs someone like you, he needs someone to confide in, someone to love, because it looks like a lot he's holding in." He finished as I hear a beep. "Okay, your tattoo is done." Dan said standing back up to slowly remove the device, I looked down at my waist to see the blank inked butterfly show up. "Thank you, it's beautiful." I said to him and he chuckled nodding, he cleaned the excess on the tattoo and I got up going to the mirror.

"What will the tattoo mean to you?" Dan asked from behind me. "Freedom." I answered staring at the tattoo smiling.

~~~

As I am walking to Eric's room, I couldn't help but remember the kiss he gave me. The kiss kept replaying in my head as I got to his door and knocked, maybe Eric was as sweet people didn't think he was. Maybe he was just misunderstood. The door opens revealing a shirtless Eric and stood in between the door waiting for me to speak.

"I just-" he cuts me off by putting his hand up making me fall silent. "I was just helping you, initiate. That kiss was given to you, so you'd learn about facing fears." He explained, the small smile turned into a poker face and then confused. "I thought you-" he cuts me off again. "Oh come on, you really think you were the greatest kisser I've had?" He questioned me and I stayed quiet.

"Didn't think so." He said with a smile, then closed the door. I felt my heart start gnawing on its own valves in embarrassment, my chest felt tight and I begin walking away, my first kiss was absolutely ruined and I felt angry. I get to the dormitories to see everyone getting ready for bed, I start walking to my bed, but Peter confronts me.

"Just letting you know, I'm going to beat you." He said, I rolled my eyes bumping my shoulder into his arm and kept walking away. "Hey, where did you go?" Will asked me as I sat on my bed taking off my leather jacket. "Just a quick walk." I answered with a fake smile. "God, I am so glad to be friends with the number 1 Dauntless transfer." Chris said hugging me, I chuckled and rubbed my head. "Keep pushing yourself, and you'll be better than Eric." She adds, I nodded and she pulled away, I untied my boots and put them under my bed.

"You feeling alright?" Tris asked me, I nodded and laid down jumping under the covers. "You sure?" She asked me and I nodded again. "Yeah, I'm fine." I answered feeling the fabric of Eric's shirt, I was so angry, I took off this shirt and stuffed it inside my boot to leave me in the old tank top I started with in the beginning.

~~~

"What are you doing here so early?" Four asked walking towards me as I punched the bag. "Training." I answered him as I do a stand up kick, then another one. "You're doing it in anger." He pointed out as I punched the dummy. "I am not." I said as I kept punching it, but he was right, I was angry.

"Just leave me alone." I said as I punched the dummy, he grabs my fists turning me around and staring at my knuckles. "Christ, Victoria, you're hurting yourself." Tobias said, I pulled my arms away pushing him and he stumbled back. "What is your problem?!" He exclaimed, I throw a fist at him and he blocks it with his forearm. "Stop!" He ordered, I threw my other fist and he blocks it with his forearm, I took this opportunity to knee his stomach and he groaned stumbling back.

I do a spin kick, which landed on his chest, I run to him and start hitting his chest as tears fell. "Why did you leave me?!" I screamed at him as I hit his chest. "What did I ever do to you?!" I screamed, my hits becoming weak and he grabbed my forearms. "How could you do that?" I cried, he pulls me into his chest and hugs me. "I was 14, you promised me." I sobbed my vision becoming blurry. "First mom, then you." I added my voice becoming shaky.

"I needed you." I said pulling away from him. "I paid your debt, I paid for your mistakes and you know what heaven gave to me?" I asked him as he stayed quiet, I took off Eric's shirt to reveal me in my tank top, showing off my bruises. His stare was louder than his words as he looked at the bruises, his eyes teared up and he walked towards me, so I took a step back.

"This one was the day you left." I said pointing at the scar on my bicep. "He did it with a kitchen knife." I explained and showed him another scar, a burned one. "This was on the second day." I started. "Yeah, he, uh, grabbed the hot pan we used to make those hot cut potatoes, do you remember that?" I asked him fake laughing. "He grabbed it hot and ready, hit the back of my shoulder because the food was coming in too slow." I explained a tear escaped his eye. "Oh and the bruises fading away are from the belt, there wasn't a day or night he didn't hit me." I said picking up Eric's shirt and put it back on as I hear people start coming in, I wiped the tears with the sleeve of this shirt.