Chapter 27

"Come on, Colin! How long does it take you to drive to the place?" I ask, frustrated with his lack of urgency.

"Well, if you'd told me the real place you left your car instead of just saying the hospital you'd be at the station already. I can't really read your mind you know...mostly because we're not in the same pack, but also you're a girl!" He says with a smile as he goads me.

I stick my tongue out at him and turn to look out the window with my arms crossed. "Well, if you'd been paying attention I told you I left my car when I went to see Paul. Also, you're mean."

"And you're a child." He says with a shrug, earning a small growl from me.

"Whatever! Just hit the gas and go already. You take too long, grandma." I say with a smirk, hoping it will frustrate him like he's been frustrating me.

"Grandma? Really? So what does that make you?" He asks, amused.

"I happen to be the poor-damsel-in-distress-being-tortured-by-annoying-egocentric-pansies. Also, I'm an adorable-example-of-pure-awesome-wolflike-specimen. Also, I just like being a pain." I say, shrugging like it's no big deal.

His booming laugh fills the car as he throws his head back a bit. "You know what? If circumstances were different, I'm sure we would have been great friends."

I look over at him in shock as he smiles at me. "What makes you say that?"

"Well, you remind me of my mate. She was wonderful." He says wistfully, eyes glazing over a bit.

"What happened to her?" I ask cautiously biting my lip, not really sure I want to know.

"My alpha killed her." He says, clinching his jaw tightly at the memory as his eyes focus on the road.

"I'm sorry." I say softly - an understanding of why he'd kill his own pack forming in my head. "Id that why you...you know?"

He nods. "Being twins, my brother and I had to challenge him together. Raif hated the guy anyways and was itching for any reason to fight him. We walked in and found her - his scent was everywhere. Raif went out and immediately started pounding the guy. It was up to me to break them apart and formally call to challenge him. I fought him and forced Raif to stay to the sidelines, he was just too happy to kill him. I didn't want a mutiny - of course, that was before."

"Before what?" I ask, glancing over at his still clenched jaw.

"Before I found out the truth about my pack." He says in a way that tells me he's done talking.

"I understand about bad packs. I mean, look at the one I'd been born into. All crazy psychos - my dad had been one of the few good ones - and all killed by an even crazier one." I say, looking at the ground slightly grateful that I'd been able to get out of there when I did.

"You wanna know the great thing about the past?" I nod at his question. "You no longer have to deal with it. You can be strong and move on."

"I'll remember that." I say, sending him a small smile.

"Here we are. I'll follow you back to your place once you've got him." He says, pulling up next to my car.

I nod and go to get out but he suddenly grabs my arm. Turning my head slowly, I come face to face with this - my brain finally realizes - very powerful, dangerous, sexy man. I gulp and lean back a bit.

"Be careful." He says in warning. "For some reason I have the need to protect you with my life. I think that's how everyone who meets you feels and Fenris will use that to his advantage. He'll hurt you by hurting them. 'Cause, to be honest, I don't think he's really after Derreck in this situation. I think he wants you to become alpha and join us. So be careful."

I nod and he leans over me to open the door. I stumble out and make my way to my car, pulling my keys out from a hidden compartment Derreck had installed into the door so I could shift without having to burry my keys somewhere I won't forget. I give one last glance to Colin before I start the engine and pull out.

I know he's following me, but the entire fifteen minute drive to the station I don't see him anywhere. He's better than I thought he'd be. After finding a spot close to the door, I take a deep breath and hop out of the vehicle. Opening the door I hear a small bell and the guy behind the counter barely glances up at me for a second. Suddenly, it's like he's realized I'm here and looks up in shock.

"Um, miss, are you in the right place?" He stutters, smoothing his short blond hair back nervously.

"Nope, I'm here to pick up my brother." I say, walking over and leaning toward him with my arms crossed on the counter. "Derreck Haile."

"The guy who'd been accused of murder?" He asks, shocked - I guess that's his only emotion.

"Well, the coroner said it was clearly an animal kill and couldn't possibly be done by him. Honestly, do you think my brother could chew a person in half?" I ask, smiling at him like it was the craziest thing.

"When you put it that way...I guess it is kinda silly. But did they tell you anything about all the paperwork he kept?" He asks, leaning closer to me.

"My brother likes to hunt. He was trying to track the animal and kept any records of what it's done over the past months. He's just been trying to help." I say, smiling at his bemused face - seriously, he needs to stop looking at me like that.

"Hey, Rodgers! Go...oh, hey Bekah!" I turn and see Rhys's dad poking his head out of his office. "What are you doing here? Is my son in trouble again?"

"Oh! Of course not! He's eating breakfast with Jase and Ian at Mel's. I'm just here to pick up my brother." I say quickly, hoping he doesn't call to make sure.

"Right, Derreck." He says glumly. "Don't really like him but it's impossible for him to have killed the girl. It's a positive that what killed her was a wolf."

"A wolf?" I ask, knowing full well that it's most likely Paul's fault.

"Yup, it was confirmed yesterday morning. That's why we let Derreck call you to come get him. He's released of all charged as of today. Also, he has something he wants to run by you." Sherrif Rhysler says, scratching his head as he speaks.

"Okay." I nod at him. "So, where is he?"

Sheriff smiles at me in amusement. "Wait in my office and I'll bring him right in. He's excited to see you...and maybe a tad angry you haven't visited."

I rush past him and take a seat on the comfy couch as he disappears down a hall. Twitching a bit, I see a photo of Rhys and his dad on the cork-board behind the desk. Looking around to make sure no one's watching I sneak over and look at what's written on there.

My lovely boys Lexiastrius and Andrew! I love you no matter what. Love, Mom.

It's obviously from Rhys' mom. Please tell me that Rhys' name is Andrew and not Lex...honestly, I have no clue how to read that. Much less say it! Anyways, it's definitely unique.

When I hear footsteps heading my way I quickly sprint across the room and jump into my seat just before the door opens. I look over as Sheriff Lex-Andrew walks in. Smiling he takes a step to the side and there's Derreck, smiling warmly at me.

I squeak and jump up, running over and jumping on him. He quickly catches me in his arms and laughs as he walks me inside. He tries to set me down and pull away but I just latch my arms tighter around his neck.

"Come on, Beks. We've got a bunch to do today." He says, adding a little more force but I refuse to let go.

"Say you'll forgive me first!" I demand quietly and shake my head.

"As long as you forgive me." He says, hugging me again as we finally let each other go.

"Of course." I smile widely as I remember just how much we have to do. "There's a lot to tell you."