Chapter 3: Between Us

{Gracelyn Adams}

My eyes slowly open from my late afternoon nap, seeing Shawn sleeping next to me with his arms around me. This seems to happen everyday. I'm still not used to it. "Shawn.", I say, shaking his arm softly. "No.", he mumbles. I poke his head. He doesn't move. I flick his head, causing him to jump. He opens his eyes and meets my eyes. "I'm up.", he says, letting go. "Sorry that keeps happening.", he says, his cheeks flushing with color. "Um, it's okay.", I say, awkwardly.

"Come on, it's late, we need to get up.", I say, crawling out of bed. I walk down the stairs, seeing everybody sitting around visiting with each other. "Hey, what do y'all want for dinner?", asks Caroline. "I think there's a Terrace 54 in Houston.", Jack says, sitting beside Kaylen. "Sounds good to me.", Shawn answers, walking over to me. "Same.", I say. Everybody agrees and waits for the others to wake up. I grab my phone and go sit at the table with my snack. "Who wants to watch a movie till the others get up?", Corbyn asks.

    "Um, I'm just gonna go wake them up.", I say. "Wait, none of us woke you up when you were sleeping.", Zach says. "Well, I'm gonna wake them up. They've been sleeping for like 3 hours.", I say. "Yeah, I'm coming, too. I'm hungry. I want to eat, so they need to get up.", Christina says.

    We go up the stairs and split up, me going to Sophia and Daniel and Christina going to Jonah and Marie. I pat Sophia's shoulder saying, "Hey, guys, time to get up. We are going to eat in a little bit." She opens her eyes and yawns. "Okay. Daniel, wake up.", she says, slapping his arm. "Ow.", he says, his eyes opening up fast. "Tehe.", she giggles. "WAKE THE HELL UP!", I hear. "Oh, crap.", I say, going to Jonah and Marie's room. "What the hell?", Jonah says, yawning.

    "Get up!!", Christina sings, closing the door and laughing when she sees me. "Did you hear me?", she laughs. I chuckle. "I think the whole house could hear you." "Oops.", she says, going back down the stairs.

-------

"Hey, we can all get ready in here if you want.", I say to Kaylen as she is walking past my room. "Good idea.", she says, rounding up the girls and they bring their hair and makeup things to get ready in my bathroom and bedroom.

    I sit in front of the floor length mirror and brush my hair out, then start fishtail braiding it. "Woah, Grace! That looks so good!", Marie says. I blush at the compliment. "Thanks." "Where did you learn to do that?", Caroline asks, glancing at my hair, then continuing putting on her mascara.

    "I don't really know. I've always loved doing my hair. I've known how to braid and style my hair for a long time.", I say. "Well, it looks great.", Kaylen says.

    "Oh, my gosh.", Sophia says, looking at her phone. "What?", I ask, looking at her through the mirror. "My manager just texted me that I have a last minute shoot tomorrow. I have to leave right now to even catch a flight to be there in time.", she says, sighing.

    "Aw, Soph. It's okay.", Marie says. "Yeah, we understand. Maybe you can come back. After all, we do have the cabin for 3 weeks.", Caroline responds. She nods. "Yeah, I hope so. I was just really wanting to have a bit of vacation time. Anyways, I need to go tell Daniel and pack.", she says, leaving the room.

    "She seems so sad.", Kaylen says, pushing out her bottom lip. "I know. I feel really bad.", I say, finishing up my makeup. "Well, hopefully she can come back.", Marie says.

    A couple minutes later, Sophia comes back. "Hey, guys, I'm leaving. My manager said I might have time to come back next week. But, if I can't, I hope I see y'all soon.", she smiles.

    "Bye, Sophia!", we say. She leaves the room and I stand up, walking to the closet in the bathroom. "What are you wearing Grace?", Kaylen asks. I shrug. "I don't really know." I flip through my clothes, a green dress with flower detail catching my eye. "Oh, wait. That's so cute.", Marie says.