Chapter 7: Official

{Shawn Mendes}

I wake up to the sound of my phone vibrating. I pick it up, seeing Liyah. "Hello?", I ask, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "Oh, wait, did I wake you up?", Aaliyah, my sister asks. "Yeah, but it's fine.", I say, yawning.

"Sorry, I forgot we are in different time zones." "What's up, Liyah?", I ask. "Who is that girl in the picture you posted?", she asks. I smile. "You seriously don't know?", I laugh. "No! I've been trying to figure it out. I can't though, from a picture of the back of her.", she says.

"That's the point.", I say. "The point is so I can't see who she is?" "Yeah. Well, not you specifically. Just people.", I say. "Well, I think I deserve to know. Wait, I think I know. Is it Grace?", she asks. I don't say anything.

"Holy shit, no way!", she exclaims. "Aaliyah! Don't say shit.", I laugh. "Are y'all finally dating?", she asks. "No. We are just talking right now. But, I'm going to ask her out soon.", I say, smiling just thinking about it.

"I'm going to start planning the wedding!", she says, excitedly. "Hey, don't tell mom!", I say. "Too late!", she says, hanging up. I chuckle, setting my phone down and rolling over, facing Grace.

I put an arm around her waist, closing my eyes, trying to go back to sleep. I feel her snuggle closer to me and I smile. How did I get so damn lucky?

----------------------------------------

{Gracelyn Adams}

"Hey, Shawn, I was thinking-", I say, but stop seeing Shawn on the phone, his eyebrows furrowed together. I sit next to him and he grabs my hand. "Andrew, can't we just push this back a couple weeks?", he asks Andrew, his manager.

"Okay. I'll see you next week.", Shawn says, hanging up the phone and throwing it on the bed, putting his head in his hands. "Hey, what's wrong?", I ask, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. He sits up and hesitates. "Shawn, tell me." "I'm performing at the Ace Hotel in September to record a live album." My eyes brighten and I pull him into a tight hug. "Shawn, that's amazing! I'm so happy for you! This is your second live album!", I say, with a grin on my face. "Yeah, I'm excited about that. But, to prepare for that, I'm gonna have to cut this trip short, Grace." 

"Wait, why? I mean, I'm not upset, but it's all the way in September and right now is June." "I have pop-up shows all of July. So the 1 week I leave early, is going to be prepping for the live album concert." "Why do you keep saying 'I'?", I ask him, confused. "Because, I want you to stay and enjoy the rest of your trip, hun.", he says, smiling softly.

"That's a funny story. Ha ha, no way. I am not gonna be away from you during these amazing moments in your life. Shawn, I wanna be there every step of the way.", I say.

He pulls me in for a hug and buries his face deep into my neck. My stomach flutters at his touch and I wrap my arms around his torso, holding onto him like he is my lifeline.

"Can we make this official?", Shawn asks, pulling out of the hug. I tilt my head at him confused. "Make what official?" "Us. I want us to be an item.", Shawn says. "Okay.", I smile. "Really? Are you ready for that? I don't want to pressure you into anything", he asks. "I'm ready. I want to be with you.", I say.

"I've waited for this moment for what seems like a lifetime. I can finally call you mine.", Shawn smiles. I grin and nod. "Does this mean that you are going to come to my pop up shows?", he asks. I nod. He pulls me into a tight hug once again. "Oh, my gosh, that makes me so excited. Grace!", he says, kissing my cheek.

I laugh and cup my hands around his cheeks. "I'm not leaving your side. And the same for your tour.", I say.

"But, you have college. How?", he asks, tilting his head in confusion. "I don't think that journalism is my thing. I love writing, but I just am not liking this as much as I thought I would. I think I'm going to take next semester off to think through what I want to do with my life. That leaves me space to be able to come with you.", I smile, gently.