Chapter 39: The Life

{Gracelyn Adams}

{November 3, 2016}

{Down The Drain}

    "Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, dear Grace. Happy birthday to you.", Shawn sings as I yawn. "That is the absolute best way to wake up. You singing to me.", I say, smiling. "Thank you.", I say, kissing his lips.

    "Your welcome, my love. Here you go.", he says, handing me my coffee. "Aw, hun. Thank you.", I take a sip of the delicious caffeine. "No problem. We have a busy day ahead of us, but take your time and relax.", Shawn says. "Okay. Do you want to come sit? It's time for the birthday tradition.", I say, patting his spot in bed.

    "Ah, the famous Hallmark movie tradition, am I right?", he asks, getting under the covers. "Yup. No Hallmark Christmas until my birthday. Unless it's Christmas in July." "Hey, but it can't last all day this year. Although that was a lot of fun, I have stuff planned for you.", Shawn says, laying his head in my lap.

I start playing with his hair and smile down at him. "Don't worry. We can just watch one movie.", I say, turning on the TV to the Hallmark channel.

"You've seen this movie, haven't you?", Shawn says, looking up at me. "Yeahhhh, I have. I've seen basically every Hallmark Christmas movie released. This one is amazing.", I say, setting my coffee on my bedside table and  continue to play with his hair.

    Shawn sighs as I run my fingers through his hair. I chuckle. "This is the life. Relaxing, having you, spending time with you, and my hair getting played with.", he says, sighing again, wrapping his arms around my waist. I laugh. "You're silly, Mendes."

-------------------------------------

    "Okay, I want to give you your presents.", Shawn says, jumping out of bed as soon as the end credits roll. "You've been waiting to do that, haven't you?", I say, grabbing my empty coffee cup and getting out of bed. He nods eagerly and grabs my hand.    

    "Come on!", he says, pulling me down the stairs. "Okay, okay!", I say, giggling. He leads me to the living room and I see a stack of presents on the coffee table. "Shawnn...", I start, but he says, "Stop. I like spoiling you. Let me spoil you." I blush and sit next to him.

    "Okay, open this one first.", he says, sliding over the biggest one. "Really? Biggest first?", I ask, shockingly. He nods. "No way you wrapped these.", I say, tearing the paper off. "I may have gotten help." "From who?", I ask, confused. "That's not important." I look at him weird but take all the paper off, revealing a frame. "Oh, is this a frame for the picture we painted of us?", I ask. He nods. "Oh, my gosh! I was literally looking for one the other day!", I say, hugging him tightly.

"Okay, open this one next.", he says, handing me a medium sized box. I untie the ribbon and take the top off, revealing a Louis Vuitton purse. "Holy shit. Holy shit, Shawn. This was so expensive.", I say. "Stop, price doesn't matter." "Yes, it does. I know how much this was. I know how much this was.", I say. "Stop, Grace! It really doesn't matter.", he smiles.

"Okay, though, I really love it. Like really love it.", I say, repeating myself for the 500th time today. "I knew you would.", he smiles. "Okay, last one. For now.", he chuckles.

I take the wrapping paper off the tiny box and pull the lid open, seeing an even smaller box. "Gracelyn Marie.", Shawn says, taking my hands. "I've enjoyed my life so much more since I've had you in it. You really do complete me. Your petite hand fits my large hand. Your plump lips fit mine. But, more importantly, your heart fits mine in the most perfect way imaginable. I can't fathom how much I love you. I love you so damn much, Grace. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. But, I know neither of us are ready for that huge step yet. So, I got you this.", tears slowly filled my eyes as he spoke. He opens the tiny box, revealing a beautiful ring.