Chapter 34: Forever

{Gracelyn Adams}

"Where are you going?", Shawn yawns. "Going to get some breakfast. The smell of bacon woke me up.", I say, opening the door. "Wait for me.", Shawn says, quickly hopping out of bed and putting on a shirt. We walk down the tiny hallway, seeing Maw Maw putting breakfast on the table.

"I was just about to come knock on the door to tell y'all breakfast was ready! Seems like y'all read my mind.", she chuckles to herself. I laugh with her. "Well, the smell of bacon woke me up." "Just like old times?", she replies. I nod. "Eat up! We have plenty of food, Shawn.", she says to him. "Yes, mam. I'm starving."

Aunt Joni walks in and the dogs start barking at the sound of the door opening. "Hey, pups!", she says, then sits at the table. "Good morning, eat up!", Maw Maw says. "Will do." She grabs a plate and starts piling food on top.

"Sis, what time are we leaving to go see him?" Maw Maw asks Joni, her oldest daughter. "We can leave at whatever time you would like, Mom. I came ready." "I'm thinking after we are done with breakfast." "Sounds great. So, what are you kids going to do today?", Aunt Joni asks us. "I was going to show him all the things we did in the woods and show him around town.", I responded.

"Have fun!", she says, as we put our finished plates in the sink. "We will.", I smile. We head back to my room and I close the door. Shawn sits on my bed and I lay down, facing the wall. "Are you okay? How are you holding up?", Shawn asks. "I'm okay right now. I think I'm just feeling shocked. I'm sad, but shocked. I don't know what to feel.", I sigh. Shawn lays down and wraps his arms around me from behind.

"It's okay. That's a normal feeling that you should be feeling right now. I'm so sorry this is happening.", he says, kissing my head. "I know. You don't have to keep saying that.", I say, gently. "Are you sure you don't want to go see him today, Grace?", Shawn asks, softly, rubbing my arm.

Tears form in my eyes. "I think it would break me to see him like that. Shawn, I don't want you to have to see me like that." "Darling, I'm here for you. I'm going to be here for you forever.", he says. I flip over facing him. "Forever?", I ask, putting my hand on his cheek. "Forever.", he says, pulling me close.

----------------------------

"Come on!" I say, pulling Shawn out of the house. "Hold on! I have to go get our towels!", he says, running back into the house. I chuckle and start running towards the woods. "Grace!" I hear as he starts running after me. "Eek!", I scream, running to the trail that leads to the pond. I run to the small "house" (that just contains a shower, tiny bedroom and a kitchen) and hide in it, waiting for Shawn.

"Grace! Where are you?", Shawn shouts, running down the trail. I hear the door open and start to jump out at Shawn but hear, "Grace?" come from the other direction of the door.

"AHHH!", I scream, seeing Ross, my cousin. "AHHH!", Shawn says, reacting to my scream. "What the hell, Ross? What are you doing here?", I ask. "I stayed here last night. I probably will be for a while.", he answers me. "Why? What happened?", I ask, confused. "Well, dad is having a hard time dealing with this, all the stuff that happened yesterday. He kinda got out of control.", he says, looking at the ground.

"Is he drunk?", I ask, knowing the answer that is going to come out of Ross's mouth. "He is passed out right now. Mom left the house because she couldn't deal with him. Tanner is the only one there with dad.", he says, explaining the situation. I sigh. "Well, at least Bu (pronounced Buh) isn't by himself.", I say.

"Ross, meet Shawn. Shawn, this is Ross.", I say and they shake hands. "This is your famous singer boyfriend?", Ross asks, joking around. "Hahaha. Yes, this is him.", I say. "Never thought I'd meet him. From the way you talked about him, I thought y'all had been dating for years.", Ross smirks, revealing my secret. "Eh, really? That's so cute.", Shawn says, joining Ross's teasing. "Damn you, y'all are already teaming up on me?", I say, punching Ross in the arm and then shoving Shawn.