seven

it wasn't new for song kisa to hear about the latest celebrity gossip from her co-workers. she worked in the university's central store, ringing up different books or university merchandise, folding clothes and dealing with returned items in slow business. it was good pay for the work she did and it helped greatly as she kept up with her schooling. she constantly worked different shifts, but her most common co-workers were kim sohyun and byun nayeon.

"did you hear? red velvet is going to have another comeback this year," sohyun said as she scrolled through her online article.

"seriously?" kisa asked as she folded the hoodie next to nayeon, who was registering the return item and all damages and customer complaints. "they've had two already this year."

"you can't really complain though, they were fantastic," nayeon said. "red flavor was my absolute favorite this year."

"whatever," said sohyun. "you'll come out of your senses and like blackpink better."

"they've had, like, what? six songs?" nayeon asked. "how am i supposed to stan a group with only six songs?"

"bts had a comeback a month ago, how could i forget?" sohyun cried out, but got shushed by nayeon. "hold up, i'll buy their album on itunes and i'll hook up the music to the store so we can listen."

the other two girls had no problems with that. what sohyun decided to do with her itunes gift cards was her choice. besides, there was little they would do to stop her.

"which member did you like again, kisa?"

"namjoon, i think."

"that's right. i don't know, kisa. jung hoseok is like a ray of sunshine," nayeon said dreamily. "but he's like two years older than me."

"that's not that bad," sohyun said. "kim seokjin is an entire four years older than me."

kisa snorted. "you guys are drama queens. how could we university students date idols? they're on an entirely new level." a dull throbbing pain started in the back of kisa's head.

"let a girl dream, kisa," nayeon retorted.

"yeah, kisa. the closest nayeon could ever get to an idol is her name," sohyun snorted.

"haha, very funny."

their small bickering was cut off by the sound of park jimin's voice.

intro: serendipity.

dna.

best of me.

kisa let the beautiful voices serenade her as she rung up a used textbook and a t-shirt for another student.

as the fourth track came on, business slowed again, giving her time to properly listen. kisa heard the song as it talked about an 'illegirl' (which was an awful pun) with evil dimples. she wondered if whoever wrote the lyrics was actually so in love with a girl at some point that he thought her smile and her dimples were totally evil, illegal even.

kisa thought about her own dimples, which yoosung said were like craters on her face. the familiar dull throbbing began in her head again. surely, she wasn't the incredibly charming girl they were talking about right?

she snorted and kept folding shirts.

the next day was kisa's day off. she didn't have classes or work, just free time. it was refreshing and it allowed her to think. unfortunately, it was also an excuse for none other than seo gayeon and choi yoosung to come over and annoy her.

"kisa, why don't you have a roommate? aren't you lonely and in debt?" gayeon asked as she made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

"noona, where did you put the ping pong ball and the paddle?" yoosung asked her as he stuck his head in a cabinet.

"what are you going to move in or something?" kisa asked gayeon, flipping the channel on her tv. "yoosung, it's in the wooden basket on the left."

"thanks noona," yoosung said. he began to balance the ball on the paddle to see how long he could keep it from falling.

"i could move in or yoosung could move in. i just think that maybe your apartment is a little too big for one person. plus after what happened last year-"

gayeon was cut off by an angry kisa. "why won't you tell me what happened last year? why was i driving to yoosung's house? i want to know why i got into an accident!" she screamed.

the apartment went silent, minus the soft singing of a masked singer on tv. yoosung's ball dropped to the ground, gayeon's sandwich plopped down on its plate.

"i'm sorry," kisa sighed. "it's just frustrating getting headaches every time i think about it and now i'm getting headaches when i think of this song."

"maybe you should stop listening to the song if it's that bad," yoosung said. "is it trot music or something?"

kisa glared at yoosung. "whatever, just drop it. go on with whatever you were doing, i'm okay."

gayeon sighed, "i think yoosung should move in. he keeps complaining about this roommate leaving dishes in the sink."

"fine by me as long as yoosung knows how to pay part of the bills," kisa said, staring glumly at the tv.

"i think i'll move in tomorrow, kisa. i have i cancel my payment today and get my clothes. sayonara, my terrible roommate!" yoosung dabbed and gayeon threw a spoon at him.

"ow!"

"you deserved that."

kisa pretended she didn't see that.