Partie vingt-deux

Shelby's POV

"How is everyone? Tired?" Coach asked.

Half the boys groaned. Kyler and I were leaning against the lockers with our bottles in our hand. Liam looked half asleep on my shoulder. I didn't want him touching me because both he and I were itching from sweat. His hair was dripping of sweat and it was forming a puddle on my hockey pants. I had let him be because I didn't care at this point, I was just as exhausted as he was.

Why Coach asked that was beyond me, it was clear to everyone that we were tired. Most of us were quiet, whereas Toria and a few of the others were stuffing their faces full of food. "All right guys, are we ready to return to the ice?"

"Yeah!" Thomas called and looked away from the food table, a mouth full of food. "Canada. Canada..." He chanted. Liam sat up quietly and some of us started chanting along, getting pumped up.

"Canada. Canada. Canada! Canada! CANADA!" We began hollering. We all stood up and gathered in a group, wrapping our arms around one another's shoulders or torso. We swayed side to side, pumping up pne another as we chanted the word 'Canada. Coacn and Miss Brantford joined in with smiles on their faces. "CANADA!" We cheered one last time and then broke apart with smiles on our faces.

We headed to our bench, only to see that USA wasn't there yet. We entered the benchand Coach started to explain to us who was going on next. "Jayden, Luke, Danile, Liam, Thomas, and Shelby," He spoke. I looked at him, shaking my head.

"What? No, I play with Toria and Danika," I spoke up.

He shook his head. "Not this time you're not. They ahd twenty minutes to plan strategy, if they play that Mendoza kid, we'll need some speed,"

I looked in front of me at Toria and Danika, they smiled with a nod, allowing me to do so. I know I didn't need to have acceptance from them to do this.I'm supposed to do it either way, if they like it or not. I wanted to make sure because they're my best friends and it's them before me. I wanted to make sure that they were all right with this, and since they were. I smiled and nodded towards Coach, listening to the rest of his words of encouragement.

We got cut short when the announcer spoke up, asking where the hell Team USA went. We all whipped our heads towards the ice, seeing Team USA skate out onto the ice in completely new uniforms. They were wearing the logo of the Duck, which was apparently Gordon Bombay's former Pee Wee hockey team. There's apparently no rule against changing uniforms, though, I find it a little over the top. If that's what pumps of their game, then so be it. They had taken a victory lap, skating by our bench, their two goons smacked all of our helmets and laughed. Some of the boys went to go at them when the refs pulled them back.

"What idiots," Liam spoke up, I nod and agree with him.

"All right, let's go!" Coach called, clapping his hands together.

Going out with the four on the ice, none of them knew french. Which meant I had to speak english or use the terms that they've been taught by Coach. It was simple things that they were told to learn whereas with my original line, we could speak french to one another and be all right. "Let's go, Canada!" We all hollered, bringing our hands in the air.

We jumped the boards and headed into our positions. I skated up to position, seeing the speedster, Luis Mendoza, in front of me with the most ridiculous smirk on his face ever. At face off, Adam Banks stood there ready to play. Tyler was defense along with Portman. In front of Thomas was Wu, their small olympic figure skater.

The puck dropped and Liam quickly shoved the player to the ground, and Thomas skated over, grabbing the puck. I pushed Mendoza to the ground and skated up. Thomas passed the puck back to Luke, but it got intercepted by Tyler. We all knew he had some powerful shot, which was called the 'knucklepuck'. We've never seen it in person, but have seen how crazy yet how accurate it is. It drove us crazy, how he could do that was beyond me. It was just amazing.

Tyler went to shoot, but I knew we could let him, so I had skated over quickly, pushing him to the ground and Liam had retrieved the puck. He passed it out to me once I got back up. I got knocked into the boards by one of their defenders, Portman. It hurt all right, a big guy like that coming in at full force like he did towards a kid my size. I can't say that that won't hurt at all. It definitly did.

Ouch! Huge hit by Portman, sending Morin to the boards. The game continues with Hayes who had gained possession of the puck. Oh, and he looses it to Germaine. Germaine to Banks, he shoots, he just misses! Morin's back in the game. Both her and Mendoza take a fall to the ground. She and Banks are in the corner fighting for the puck. Collins has the puck, and it's out to Russell.

With Thomas in possession of the puck, he passed it back out to Liam. Liam went for but it got stolen, once again, from him and hee got pushed to the ground. I made my way down to our end of the ice. USA had called something. "To Russ!"

I looked around, awaiting for Liam to call something. Danika would've then known that she had to call something so rest of us knew what to do. When Liam didn't, Coach called out. "Watch him!"

Liam, Thomas, and I kept our eyes on this guy. Right now, USA was passing the puck back and forth amongst one another. It was a little confusing, until someone gave us our sign. "Now!" USA's Coach yelled.

We were racking up in points and the other team was going to do what ever they had to in order to score another goal. Liam skated up towards Tyler, who was getting ready to swing at the puck. Liam slid and managed to quickly get the puck out of his reach now. In the meantime, I had skated forward, alongside Thomas. Thomas retrieved the puck with Mendoza on his tail. He swiftly passed it up to me. I cradle the puck with my stick and took a power shot at the net, scoring.

We all got together and cheered with one another. After our cheer fest and tumble tower, since we had fallen, we all gathered at the bench where Coach had switched some of us out. I took my seat and Coach had put out a different line. He promised Toria and Danika that their line would be our final line. Coach knew that he could've put his best players out first, but he didn't want to be unfair for the others. We're all good and all deserve to play the same amount-ish of time.

I watched as Oliver, Alex, Finn, Cameron, and Bryce were out on the ice. Jayden was still in net and he saved quite a few goals and boy were we thankful for him.