The Run In

Aubrey

"I'm sorry," I apologized to the person that I had rammed into. They turned and looked down at me. It was a tall man in a white t-shirt with a black leather jacket over it. "I didn't see you."

"You didn't see me?" He asked, sounding slightly amused but more annoyed.

"No, sorry, I wasn't paying attention." I looked him over. He towered over me making it almost hard to see his face with the sun behind him. His wide shoulders gave the impression that there were muscles under that jacket, and the way his shirt tightly stretched over his chest confirmed this. I noticed dark, red-brown splashes on the t-shirt he was wearing. "Um, did you know that there's blood on your shirt?" He looked down and saw what I saw, but didn't seemed shocked or bothered by this discovery. He just shrugged.

"It's not my blood. It's from the last person that ran into me." I nodded ignoring the not so discreet threat. I shrugged.

"As long as you aren't hurt." He looked slightly confused but it didn't last long. "Anyway, sorry again for running into you."

"Don't let it happen again." I chuckled.

"Yes sir." I mocked before walking to the shop where I now worked.

I had just moved here recently and got a job working for an old couple who owned a bookstore/coffee shop. I loved it here so far! It was the small town feel I had been looking for when I decided to move.

As I walked inside, I noticed Mrs. West looking like she was about to pass out. Her eyes wide and her hand over her heart.

"Are you okay?" I rushed to her, worried.

"My dear, are you okay?" Why wouldn't I be?

"Yes?" I answered confused.

"Do you know who that was?" She asked, pointing outside to where I was before.

"The guy?" She nodded. "No, why, should I?"

"Honey, someone should have warned you. He is a terrible man who has committed more sins than the devil." I thought she was being pretty dramatic. I pierced my lips together to keep from laughing. "He's the head of the motorcycle gang that terrorizes the people here. All of them are just awful, but he...he is the worst."

"Why is he so horrible?" I asked, playing along, not wanting to be rude. And since when did this town get a motorcycle gang?

"His parents' death is said to be the cause of another motorcycle group near here, the Night Riders. No one is quite sure who's responsible, but Xavier seems sure it was them."

"Then shouldn't those be considered the 'bad ones'? If that's who killed his parents, I mean."

"Oh no...well at the time yes but, you see, the cops could never find proof and that is why the man you ran into, Xavier, is so set on terrorizing this town. They have never caught him with anything, so it is like a game to him now. When he was younger he just had this anger in him... it was just little crimes then, a couple of vandalized cars or broken windows...we should have known then he'd be a problem." She muttered before continuing  "When he left for school it was peaceful, we were sure all the trouble was over. But one day he was back along with the rest of them. He had rebuilt the club so quick it seemed to happen over night. But it was different, he was different, darker, almost emotionless. It was worst then anyone could have predicted." She paused, shaking her head. "It was like it wasn't about revenge anymore for him, he was just too far gone to stop, I guess."