26

Sleep did not come easily for either of them over the next few days. He was tormented by the sight of her in the courtyard. And she, her ordeal up to the branding.
Whatever medication she was taking helped numb the pain. The swelling had subsided but she knew she had to be careful as she slowly got out of bed. Moving towards the mirror she subconsciously reached for her head. Though her hair had started to grow back nothing would ever erase her what had happened.

The doors opened making her turn to see who it was. As they closed she gasped seeing his state as he came to a halt looking at her as well. Moving towards each other he swiftly pulled her into his arms careful not to hurt her.
"You have lost weight," she whispered into his ear.
"So have you," he responded in a gruff voice. "Are you hungry?"
"Famished," She said with a sigh as he slowly released her.
Walking towards the door to give a guard instructions he stopped when she called out to him.
"Why don't we go to the dining room," she said.
With a simple nod he took her hand leading her to the closet. Helping her into something more presentable and comfortable he took her hand. Her brother and the prince where excited to see her as she walked into the dining room.

"How is Gareth?" She asked Munya as soon as he sat down.
"He is well. At home with his family," he said as food was placed before them.
She smiled nodding her head in understanding. When his mother walked in she became tense remembering her command to have her beaten. She had shown no mercy but seemed to be enjoying what she had gone through. It was clear Munya did not know of her involvement.

"When will you let the elders leave," she demanded.
"When I am sure they understand what they did."
"This is going to cause an uproar amongst the people. They have not seen their fathers in four days."
"They will live, are they not being fed."
"Seriously bread and water is not enough for those old man."
Calling over a servant he told her in a clear voice.
"Have the chief cook prepare only vegetable soup for those old men," he said lifting his cup of coffee to his lips.
"Son surely soup is not enough," his mother said.
He looked at his mother in question.
"Why are you so worried about them. I know you don't like Rudo, still you defend those men," he said as she clamped her mouth shut avoiding his gaze.

Wiping his mouth he stood from his seat leaving the room clearly frustrated. Entering the throne room the men quickly bowed before him as he took his seat. Scanning the room he smirked seeing pure fear of what was to come.

"Shall we try this again?" He said leaning forward resting his elbow on his thighs linking his hands.
"Did I not ask you to not touch her?" He said in a clear voice.
"You did your highness," they chorused heads still bowed.
"Then why? Tell me who was behind this violation," he asked them.
They all remained quiet as he watched them closely.

"Very well I will have everything prepared. You violated and humiliated my wife. The same brand you used upon her flesh will mark my flesh for she is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh. When you humiliate her you humiliate me as well," he said in a clear voice as he watched the men raise their heads mortified.
"Your highness please, it has not come to this," Stanford cried out fear visible in his eyes.
"You brought us here Stanford. I warned you," he said.
"Never has a king worn the mark your highness please. Great calamity will fall upon the kingdom," he said.
"It has already fallen," he responded watching as the others argued amongst themselves.

"Your highness our punishment is this," another elder stepped forward to speak. "Let us all wear the mark," he said indicating his companions.
It was clear they would not speak.
"I will bear the mark my wife now wears," he stated in a no nonsense tone watching their expressions.

He let out a long sigh as he asked them, "Was it my mother?"
The way their postures became tense told him all he needed to know as he scrutinized them. Standing up from his seat he left the room.