Jalebi Fever

"My dear Jalebi,

I'm sorry for cheating on you but I am helpless. If it wasn't a serious matter, I wouldn't have left you. But I promise to you, just two months and we will be united again.

With love, your loyal eater KKGSR."

He chuckled at that letter and raised his lashes again to look at her.

Arnav - And to whom do I send this letter?

Khushi - To the sweet shop from where you always get Jalebis for me...used to get!

She pouted sadly looking down. He raised his brows in amusement. Was she serious?

Arnav - This is crazy. I won't send the letter to the sweet shop. The owner will think it's for him.

Khushi - What the. Laad Governor, do as said. I want to let my Jalebis know I think of them.

Arnav - Khushi, Jalebis are non-living things, it's a dessert. It can't talk, see, feel, touch, sense and for sure not read.

Khushi - Oh you bitter gourd eater have no idea how much it talks me when I see a Jalebi. It pulls me closer and always says: eat me, Khushi, eat me.

She licked her lips thinking about that delicious juicy syrup coated pretzel. Arnav nodded in denial. How could he end up marrying such a foodie?

She rubbed her outgrown tummy and got up from the chair gulping. Arnav took a step ahead to hold her.

Khushi - I want to eat Jalebis. Now!

Arnav - Khushi, you know you can't. You are on a strict diet.

She flared her nose in anger and punched him lightly on the chest.

Khushi - I hate you. YOU, you are the reason I'm suffering. I am pregnant because of you and because you are diabetic, I have to restrict myself from eating sweets during the pregnancy.

Arnav - Okay, firstly, it was you who wanted a baby! And secondly, I am not a diabetic by choice! I didn't even used to eat much sweet.

Khushi - I don't know anything. I want to eat sweets. Jalebis. You have no idea what it means for me to have to live without Jalebis. It's as if...if I don't get to eat, my breath will get stuck, as if my life is useless.

Arnav - Unbelievable.

He stared her in disbelief nodding in denial. This girl gets crazier day by day.

Khushi - I don't care about what you believe or not. You...I hate you Laad Governor. Because of you, I am suffering here.

She started crying melodramatically and blew her nose in her dupatta to which he made a face.

Khushi - If I had known that day, that the doctor will advise a strict diet, I would have eaten a lot of Jalebis before going to the clinic.

Arnav - Yeah, that would have been for sure a better solution.

He chuckled before thinning his lips as she glared him in a killer way.

Khushi - Dare you even talk to me now. Until your baby isn't born, don't show me your face Laad Governor. Get out!

He could break something at the moment. Earlier he thought she was crazy only but her mood swings during pregnancy had been testing his patience. Not having the energy to cope up with an angry Khushi now, he walked out silently.

* * *

"I hate you Laad Governor."

He stopped typing on his laptop and turned his gaze to his pregnant wife standing there in front of him.

Arnav - What now?

Khushi - Jalebi!

Arnav - Shut up Khushi! Everything has a limit. Stop overreacting. It's just Jalebis, don't get on my nerves.

Her eyes filled up as he exploded in anger not realizing the sensitivity of the moment. Big fat tears dropped out of her eyes letting him come back to his senses. She turned and walked back up to the room. He grit his teeth at his own self.

Arnav - Great! Well done.

He was to follow her but thought of something and took his phone out of his pocket and made a quick call.

* * *

"I don't care how many times you apologize. I won't forgive you."

Sitting on the bed, she wiped her tears still sobbing.

Arnav - Khushi, I know I behaved like a jerk. You are pregnant and having cravings, I should be more understanding. I'm really sorry.

She pushed his hands away turning to having her back face him.

Khushi - It's ok. You don't have to put up with me. I am overreacting. I get on your nerves. Don't worry. I'll pack my clothes and go to Laxmi Nagar to give you your space.

He hugged her from behind keeping his chin on her shoulder. She closed her eyes not wanting to give in.

Arnav - But if you do so, then my breath will get stuck. You are my Jalebi! I can't live without you.

Her sobs slowed and she turned her face to see him in the eye.

Khushi - Prove it. Prove you care about me.

He smiled leaving her and stood up first before helping her get off the bed.

Arnav - I had hoped you'd ask.

He walked her out to the poolside and uncovered the table to reveal a plate of Jalebis, Gol Gappes, Bhel Puri, Samosas and Amritsari Kulcha.

Her face lit up with a gasp and she looked at him smiling wide.

Khushi - This all for me???

He nodded smiling and she already picked a Jalebi to eat bringing it to her mouth but stopped there only dropping her smile.

Khushi - I can't have it. Remember?

Arnav - That's ok. I called the doctor. He said one or two won't do any harm. So-

He couldn't complete the sentence he just started when he saw her already munching on the Jalebi with a wide smile on her face. He stared her smiling in content. Pregnant or not. Khushi and her craze for Jalebis!