05 | h e w a s e v i l

On the way home, we were silent

On the way home, we were silent. The only noise was the radio playing softly on an old rock station. I wouldn't say it was awkward silence, even though we were acting very awkward. Ace had surprised me tonight; seeing him with his family was new and a nice change. It made me feel weird. But I wasn't sure why he was acting odd.

He pulled into a parking spot in the apartment complex and turned off the ignition. He sat back with a sigh and turned toward me. "Thank you for tonight Mel," Ace told me, his eyes glancing over me.

"A favor is a favor Ace Carter. Do you think they believed that I was your girlfriend?" I wasn't sure why I had asked him that. They had obviously believed us. And I felt kind of bad that we had tricked them. No, Ace had tricked them. I was just here doing him a favor. A favor I still wasn't sure why I had agreed to.

He nodded and cleared his throat, "yeah, I think they did."

"I didn't know you could sing like that," my voice was soft and sounded kind of breathless. It was embarrassing.

The air in the car shifted from awkward
to comfortable. "Sing like what?"

I shrugged, "good."

Ace started to chuckle which made me smile for some reason. A weird feeling formed in my stomach and my heart wanted to jump out of my body when he smiled like that; like he didn't give a damn about anything else that was happening.

"I would say the same to you except, I already knew you could sing well," Ace was still chuckling slightly and it made me want to jump out of his car and sprint up the stairs to my apartment.

I cleared my throat. "Right. Okay, thank you for bringing me home. I should probably get upstairs and let Charlie know that i'm home before I turn back into a pumpkin."

"What?" Ace looked very confused.

I stared at him, "he wanted me home by midnight. Midnight was when Cinderella's carriage turned back into a pumpkin."

"Are you saying tonight was so magical you felt like a princess?" Ace's smile turned devious.

I shook my head and put my hand on the door handle. "I would never imply such a thing. Especially since I was with you."

"Well maybe I should have implied that I was the princess, not you."

What? Oh god, we were flirting again. I really needed to stop doing that.

"You're so weird," I ended up telling him with a laugh.

"And you're beautiful."

My laughter trailed away immediately and I felt a blush creep up my neck. There were a lot of things I could handle. Ace Carter telling me I was beautiful was not one of them. "Okay, goodnight," I told him and opened the door.

Ace got out of the car with me and followed me as I made my way up the stairs. "What are you doing?" I asked him without stopping.

"Walking you to your door? It's the gentlemanly thing to do," his voice sounded rushed and panicked.